Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Dodge 2007 Caliber subframe replacement

Dodge 2007 Caliber subframe replacement

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Dodge 2007 Caliber subframe replacement

• Creator
    Topic
    jeff chipsjeff chips
    Participant

Hello. This is my first post here and hope someone can help.

I recently inherited a low mileage 82k 2007 Dodge Caliber. I’m aware of the issues of that car, yet, the engine is good and it has lots of pep. What is not so good is the subframe. Despite there being a 10 year recall on the subframe from excessive rusting, my mother never took advantage of that, and now I own a car that drives ok albeit with bad suspension and rust under it. I’m wondering about the benefits of replacing the subframe and associated components – tie rods, struts, ball joints.

A look under the car reveals that indeed the front subframe has significant rust with some soft spots. And there is extensive rusting throughout the undercarriage although to my untrained eye most looks like surface rust (as an aside I had a sand-blaster tell me they could remove most of the rust with a sand blaster).

As used cars are very expensive these days and I don’t need a cream puff, just a safe and reliable vehicle, what is the consensus here of having the subframe replaced and any other nuggets of wisdom to pass along. What else should I have replaced under the car (since they are working there).

Everything else works fine in this car.

Thank you.

ps – I have photos of the underside of the vehicle but don’t see a way to post them here.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
      Keymaster

The subframe is a major structural component and takes a lot of effort to replace. If you’re not doing it yourself, it can get expensive. The question then becomes, is it worth it? The way I would determine that is to have the car inspected to see what other issues it might have. Once you know that, you can compare the cost of repair against the cost of replacement and make an informed decision. Also know that when doing major work like that, you can often find other things to replace and spend money on. At the end of the day, it’s really a question of how much you wish to invest in the vehicle and how much you can potentially get out of it.

Good luck.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…