Menu

Does anyone else think Subaru is garbage?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Automotive Discussion Does anyone else think Subaru is garbage?

• Creator
    Topic
    BradBrad
    Participant

Hey everyone, just wondering if anybody else thinks subaru is garbage? I live in Vermont, and we pretty much have a 5 month winter so everyone has a subaru. It’s called “the unofficial state car of Vermont” on Subaru adverts. Seriously this place is crawling with Subarus, but I’m not quite sure why. Subaru’s fan base is pretty much a cult following, everyone thinks they’re the best and nothing even compares. The awd is actually amazing in the snow; I bought a 1999 legacy outback 2.5dohc 5 speed and you can dump the clutch at 4k in a icy road and it takes right off. There’s a good amount of wheel spin but using sane driving habits these kick ass in the snow. I’ve had the car 5 months and it has been a flying POS. It’s been one thing after another, all the normal Subaru stuff was done At 104k when I bought it (Heag gaskets, water pump, timing belt, etc.) on the drive home when I bought it it had horrible overheating issues, so I replaced the thermostat and it’s fine. It needed a wheel bearing a few weeks later. There’s electrical problems, the alternator failed and left me stranded a week later. There was some seal in the engine that caused the thing to leak oil like a seive (whole front end of the car was literally dripping with oil) and I had the mechanic replace that seal and the brand new clutch that was ruined by the oil spray to the tune of $600, because the motor had to be pulled to replace a $20 seal; and I didn’t have time to yank the engine. The shift linkage rattles like crazy, and the rust is starting to eat this car alive, 1/3 of the passenger rocker is gone, seriously there’s nothing but a hole. There is a LOUD exhaust leak I need to fix, and the car gets about 16mpg. I figure that’s from the exhaust leak throwing the O2 readings off. The dealer replaced brakes on 4 wheels but a caliper seized up front so I had to replace front rotors, pads, and passenger caliper. It uses half a quart every 500 mi or so, so I’m gonna replace the PCV and go from there. It’s slow as hell, and the A/C doesn’t work. I recharged it but it needs new o rings somewhere. There’s other stuff I’m forgetting for sure. Subaru cranks out junk, and doesn’t stand behind it because their cult members are there to buy/lease a new one every 3 years. I mean come on now, hg’s at 100k? Even the new ones have piston slap issues. Anybody else have a Subaru that is/was a miserable POS?

Viewing 16 replies (of 16 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Mark CowanMark Cowan
      Participant

When you see Subaru on the road, this means it goes or it is back from a service shop. If you see Subaru passing by auto service without stopping, this means its breaks failed.

Viewing 16 replies (of 16 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…