Menu

ECM problem

• Creator
    Topic
    Robert E. SturgeonRobert E. Sturgeon
    Participant

I have a 1994 Dodge Dakota, V6, 3.9; automatic, 2 wheel drive.
      It died on me. No spark and no fuel. I followed advice from several people and replaced several components.
      I replaced the coil, fuel pump, cam position sensor, crank position sensor and even the ECM. I checked fuses, relays, and wires.
      No spark, no fuel.
      Checked the “hot” wire to the ECM and no voltage present. Jumped between the positive post on the battery and the hot wire to the ECM.
      Started right up.
      I can’t find where the break is between the battery and the ECM. I ran a wire and spliced into the ECM and the power control box.
      Runs every time. I have driven it a few times since then and there are no problems with how it starts or runs. But I know there is something wrong. I just can’t find it.
      Every thing seems to be working OK, but when I turn on the turn signal the needle in the dash voltmeter fluctuates.
      Can someone send me in the right direction. I’m trying to survive on my SS and cannot afford to put it in the shop.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

You state you checked the fuse.
        Did you visually check or …
        Did you measure voltage on both sides of the fuse?
        Just a thought …
        The issue may be a faulty connection within the back end of the fuse box.

Robert E. SturgeonRobert E. Sturgeon
        Participant

Yeah, I bared all the wires going into the power distribution box and into the ECM.
          found no breaks, but did find a “funky” looking fusable link so replaced it. No help. The power wire that goes into the ECM is red with a white stripe. But the wire out of the Power distribution box that is red with white stripe is hot all the time. That is where I made the splice and ran a wire over to the dead wire at the ECM. The truck runs like a champ.
          Still don’t know what went wrong.

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
          Participant

You’ll need a power distribution diagram for your specific vehicle.
            Using a test light check that you have power on both sides of the fuse(s).
            From there you’ll need to inspect and test the back end of the fuse box(s) for corrosion,damage and to see if voltage is there.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…