Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Elantra 2012 1.8L "NU" engine tap/knock

Elantra 2012 1.8L "NU" engine tap/knock

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Elantra 2012 1.8L "NU" engine tap/knock

• Creator
    Topic
    Damon RigbyDamon Rigby
    Participant

Hi All

I have signed up for some advice. I have a 2012 i30 (AKA Elantra) with a 1.8L petrol ‘nu’ engine. Over 200,000 kms so very high mileage

Developed a tapping sound, seems to be coming from top/middle. Thought it might be lifters/rockers.

Changed oil twice in last month.
      Tried a thicker oil 20w50 with no luck then swapped back to 5w30 full synthetic
      Thought it was lifter noise so Installed 16 brand new lash adjusters and cleaned and freed up rollers on rocker arms . General running smoothed out but tapping noise did not.
      Added Liqui Molly friction reducer and Liqui molly tappet noise reducer
      10 seconds of sound is here;

[MEDIA=soundcloud]damon-rigby-780323580/20200212-194616a[/MEDIA]

The tapping sound seems to be 1100 or so taps per minute at idle (at around 700 rpm or so). Tapping correlates to rpm’s

Given piston goes up twice and down twice per revolution then maybe a sound of piston on up or down stroke? not sure. Piston slap? maybe crankshaft?

Also I’m using original oem oil filter; no check engine light and no obd scanning codes showing.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

Might suggest trying Marvel Mystery Oil added to the crank case according to the directions and see if that helps.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…