Menu

Electrical contact recommendations.

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Maintenance Forums Electrical contact recommendations.

• Creator
    Topic
    TasogareTasogare
    Participant

Greetings all.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      twiggytwiggy
      Participant

I think any brand will work as long as you apply it properly. Corrosion occurs quickly in the presence of electricity and a conductive path between metal parts, usually helped by not so clean water. The grease helps prevent that conductive path between pins by keeping contanimation away. It’s also dielectric meaning that it provides electrical isolation between 2 conductors of different voltage levels. I saw a great video on e-trailer on how to use this grease. Later, when I have full access to internet I will try to locate the video and post it here. I’m not sure why this grease doesn’t interfere with your intended eletrical connections but I think is that the tight fit of the pins to sockets spread the grease thin enough to allow conductivity as the dieletric voltage isolation is a direct function of the thickness of the layer of dielectric material.

TexasCoderTexasCoder
        Participant

I second twiggy02919’s comments. Anytime I disconnect a plug, I always put a dab of di-electric grease in there. It doesnt take much, just enough to cover the connection points. My brand of choice is CRC’s Di-Electric grease (http://www.amazon.com/CRC-05105-Technician–Electric-Compound/dp/B000CIRU6W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314706793&sr=8-1)

I have used the same can for over 6 years, and I use it when re-seating sparkplug boots all the way down to when I replace bulbs.One note, it is not entirely necessary to use this grease on plugs that are in your cabin area, the grease is generally for areas that have exposure to the outside elements (rain, mud and in my case, cats that crawl up under my hood and pee on everything).

TasogareTasogare
          Participant

Seems plausible. I may have to start making this a part of my routine. Thanks for the tips. ^^

Wait….cats? o.O

twiggytwiggy
            Participant

Here is a link to a youtube video by etrailer that will give you an idea how to use it,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W7o-CRRmGo

HondaTechJoeHondaTechJoe
              Participant

As far as contact cleaner goes I like Wurth Contact OL. It’s the stuff to use. Expensive, but wor every penny.
                http://shop.bevelheaven.com/detail.aspx?ID=818
                One can lasts a good while.

redhorseredhorse
                Participant

hey tasogare , for almost all automotive electrical connections , stay away from carb clearner an brake cleaners. CRC chems makes two types
                  of electrical spray cleaners; one for most automotive connections. another for connections that can be harmed from cleaning solvents(ie computers boards and the like) ..
                  both are pricey.
                  life is good

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…