Menu

Engine Cleaning

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion Engine Cleaning

• Creator
    Topic
    A . SpruceA . Spruce
    Participant

Hey all,

I want to clean the engine bay on an 03 Suburban with a 5.3. What’s the recommended procedure for cleaning the block and intake manifold. There’s no major leaks going on, just what I’d call typical build up of crud over the past 16 years. I know not to just take a pressure washer and start blasting everything, but how careful do I need to be with a garden hose and engine degreaser when it comes to the the electrical components such as the coils and other magical doo-dads routed around the top of the engine?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      soniasonia
      Participant

good info

Henry HartmannHenry Hartmann
        Participant

@sonia: he did not give any info that will be useful. He is asking.

@Spruce
          : I think you need some things to prepare for cleaning. These are what I usually prepare for each time. Not I have a Corolla Altis 2010.
          Wrench
          Shop vacuum
          A leaf blower or compressor
          A few paintbrushes in different sizes
          Metal wire brushes (also in different sizes)
          A long water hose
          Quality-brand degreaser
          Soft microfiber towels

The steps are:
          1 and most important: Let the engine cool down, seal all the reservoirs, disconnect the battery (disconnecting the negative side first and then unclipping the positive next)
          2, you should cover the electrical parts of your engine with plastic to protect against contact with water. Cover the spark plugs, the coil packs, the distributor cap, all the filters, and the alternator.
          3, Clean ( note: to use metal brush cause a portion of your engine is made of aluminum)
          4, have a wipe down (using the towels)

Roger VogelRoger Vogel
          Blocked

Thank you for sharing this information

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…