Menu

Engine Dies after warm-up

Tagged: 

• Creator
    Topic
    Phil HasierPhil Hasier
    Participant

I just finished a JDM swap in my 05 Element and thought all was good until i let in run long enough to get warmed up to circulate the coolant. Everything sounded good and then the motor shut off. It started and then shut off again. Then it only started sporadically and sometimes rough. It finally through a code form cam positioning sensor bank 1. I borrowed my friends scanner to read this. When the engine was cold again the cycle repeated. One time I got a code for vtec advance fault, or something like that. I changed the cam positioning sensor back to my original one and same issue. Could the vtec gear be causing this?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
      Keymaster

Always start with the basics. In your case, I’d be looking at fuel psi when the issue happens. I would also go back and make sure everything on the engine is connected correctly. The #1 cause of a fault after work like that is something you may have done during the swap. More info on solving performance issues here.

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/solving-automotive-performance-issues

Good hunting.

Phil HasierPhil Hasier
        Participant

Found that the intake cam was one tooth off of being lined up with the exhaust cam and timing mark, So far at idle it hasn’t died. It does still bog down when the a/c compressor clutch engages at idle, but it does recover. Does the computer have to re-learn any adjustments or would this be another issue?

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
          Keymaster

You might still have an issue. Again, be sure the engine is in good mechanical shape before looking to other causes.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…