Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Engine mount bolt broke, how to get out bolt

Engine mount bolt broke, how to get out bolt

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Engine mount bolt broke, how to get out bolt

• Creator
    Topic
    RichardRichard
    Participant

So I noticed excessive vibration from my 2007 Corolla motor. Sure enough an engine mount bolt broke. All I need to replace is the bolt. The rest of it looks good. I have no idea how to get the broken half of this bolt out though. Any ideas? thanks! A video link of what I’m talking about:

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Billy AndrewsBilly
      Participant

Assuming there’s no side or bottom access, which the video doesn’t show.
        If it’s loose, use a magnet or something long and JB Weld.
        If it’s tight, use a long drill bit, then a long EZOut or thread in something long (bolt or bike spoke) with red threadlocker.

HometheatermanHometheaterman
        Participant

Well, your block is aluminum. So my preferred method is to use a mig welder. You can stick a nut over the top of the hole and build up weld inside of it. It will only stick to the bolt and won’t stick to the aluminum block. The heat will also help break the bolt free.

If you don’t have access to a welder or someone who can do this, you can drill the bolt and try to use an extractor. I usually have mixed results with this method. This method only works if you have room to get a drill where you need to.

The last option is drilling the bolt out and either use a heli coil or drill and tap it to the next size. This isn’t soo bad if you’re careful, but I’ve seen far to many instances when someone has drilled too deep, wallowed out the hole, etc. So be careful if you do it.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…