Menu

ENGINE OIL USE

• Creator
    Topic
    Erick MnguluErick Mngulu
    Participant

Hello guys!
      I have some questions, looking for assistance:
      i)Does each engine require specific engine oil viscosity grade?
      ii)Does each engine has specific engine oil pump design? How does oil pump design determine oil viscosity grade?
      iii)If I use different oil viscosity grade, any effect to the engine performance?
      iv)For a passenger car don’t have VVTI system and operate at 10 to 40 degree Celsius environment condition, any effect if use 0w30/5w30 viscosity grade engine oil?
      v)For old truck(run 200k miles), use of more advanced oil(synthetic) could help to extend oil drain interval?
      vi)Any effect of use engine oil treatment(STP) to engine performance?
      Thanks.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Rahul JonesRahul Jones
      Participant

It would have easier to answer if you had mentioned for which vehicle and engine.
        1) Yes, each engines are designed to take a specific grade of oil. Initially, fuel economy could be only difference you may see but over time it can cause premature wear to the internal parts of the engines. So, always stick to what the manufacturer recommends.
        2) Yes, each engines can have different style of pumps but that doesn’t define the oil viscosity but the clearance used in engine bearings and other parts determine the recommended oil viscosity.
        3) Performance not much but only the fuel immediately unless you use a widely different viscosity then it can effect the performance.
        4) It is fine 0W30 or 5W30 if manufacturer recommends. Check your owner’s manual for this information.
        5) Again, depends if the manufacturer recommends or not. Usually people switch to non synthetic or thicker oil as the engine gets older but I never did that. If you maintain it well, you don’t need to. If your engine is leaking oil, change the seal or gasket instead of using thicker oil or additive.
        6) Not required.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…