Menu

Engine starting problem

• Creator
    Topic
    Robert MiltenbergerRobert Miltenberger
    Participant

98 Honda accord 2.3 auto 125 K miles Replaced fuel injectors a year ago. New England cold weather. The last two days on the first start on a cold morning. The car turns over strong and starts immediately half a second later it dies. I try again same behavior. Third attempt starts up immediately runs great no issues. Car sites for 8 hours while I’m in work. I come out of work its about 70 degrees out. Starting the car behaves exactly as it did in the morning – two failed starts – starts on third attempt. Car sat overnight – cold this morning 30 degrees – behaves exact same – 2 no starts – third starts up immediately. Any thoughts? Hoping to fix over this weekend.

Thanks,

Milty

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

Try this:
        Cycle the key to the on (but not start (crank) ) position several times.
        Then try starting the engine.
        If it starts and runs, you have a fuel delivery issue.
        Might be a failing fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator.

Participant

Will do. Appreciate the tip.

Milty

Participant

I tested as noted. Same behavior. Following the testing – I attempted to start the engine – on the fourth attempt the engine started. All subsequent starts – no issues. Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Milty

Participant

Hmmm …
              Might have a look and see how dirty the throttle body is and clean if needed.
              Might also check the MAF sensor for being dirty.

Korey WhitleyKorey Whitley
              Participant

Check the fuel pressure at the rail after sitting for a few hours. Hook up s pressure gauge to the valve on the rail . Cycle the key on to prime the system but do not crank the car . Check the pressure and check to the factory spec . Then start the car and watch the pressure. It definitely sounds like a fuel problem .

Participant

I’ll chk those things

Milty

Participant

This morning 30 degrees out – turned key to on for 5 seconds – pressed the gas pedal down a little – engine started immediately. This may be a one off – I’m trying to decide what pressing the gas pedal down a small amount of travel may of done to enable starting on the first attempt – position of TPS? change in vacuum? I will clean TB and MAF and IAC for good measure. I’ll see how engine starts after work and going forward. This weekend I will rent a fuel pressure gauge and check pressure. If fuel pump is failing I hope I make it thru the week.

Milty

Participant

After work I turned key to on position for a couple of seconds depressed the pedal slightly car started on first try immediately – not sure what to make of this – will see how car behaves tomorrow.

Milty

chuck bush007chuck bush007
                      Participant

Hi,
                        I also had problem with my car’s engine. it was giving weird noise and specially in the morning my car was not getting start, then i take my car to Winter’s Collision Repair in Winnipeg. They checked my car and fixed the problem with the engine. And now my car is running good, so take your car to a good autobody repair shop to get it check. If you are in Winnipeg then you should visit to Winter’s Collision Repair shop.

chuck bush007chuck bush007
                        Participant

Hi,
                          I also had problem with my car’s engine. it was giving weird noise and specially in the morning my car was not getting start, then i take my car to Winter’s Collision Repair in Winnipeg. They checked my car and fixed the problem with the engine. And now my car is running good, so take your car to a good autobody repair shop to get it check. If you are in Winnipeg then you should visit to Winter’s Collision Repair shop.

Participant

This morning I paid close attention to the dashboard and any sounds when I turned the ignition key on the first attempt at starting I turned the key to the ON position for 5 seconds and then the Start position – a couple of dashboard lights came on and I heard a buzzing sound – no start. Tried the same a second time – key at start position – no dash lights no buzzing – tried a third time – all dash lights on and buzzing – engine started immediately – I am strongly suspecting an ignition switch issue. Unless this is another one off scenario. I will report on starting behavior after work. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Milty

Prabin ShresthaPrabin Shrestha
                            Participant

Hello,
                              Ignition switch is an easy fix and I just did on mine. It’s definitely worth the try.

Participant

I am back to thinking its the Fuel system. This morning car started immediately on first try. Stopped at store 20 min later. Tried to start car took 4 attempts all dash lights on in start position. Once it started I had to keep idle at 1000 rpm – if I let go of pedal the car would stall = idle dropped to zero. Did this for about 5 minutes driving in town. Engine then idled properly. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Milty

Participant

To confirm you’ll need to have a fuel pressure gauge hook up to the fuel rail and see what the pressure is when this issue occurs.

Participant

Will do fuel pressure check this weekend. Behavior this morning. I turned key to on position – no dash light – turned off and on – all dash lights on – pressed gas pedal slightly – car started immediately. 20 min later on highway car shut off – as if I turned key off – pulled off road – key sitting in on position – turned key forward – gas pedal pressed slightly – started right up. I may have two problems – ignition switch seems like one issue. Thoughts?

Milty

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…