Menu

Engine starting problem

• Creator
    Topic
    Robert MiltenbergerRobert Miltenberger
    Participant

98 Honda accord 2.3 auto 125 K miles Replaced fuel injectors a year ago. New England cold weather. The last two days on the first start on a cold morning. The car turns over strong and starts immediately half a second later it dies. I try again same behavior. Third attempt starts up immediately runs great no issues. Car sites for 8 hours while I’m in work. I come out of work its about 70 degrees out. Starting the car behaves exactly as it did in the morning – two failed starts – starts on third attempt. Car sat overnight – cold this morning 30 degrees – behaves exact same – 2 no starts – third starts up immediately. Any thoughts? Hoping to fix over this weekend.

Thanks,

Milty

Viewing 6 replies - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

It’s possible

Participant

For 7 days straight I have had no issues with starting – cold weather – pouring rain – a bit of snow – 70 degrees 1 day. Very odd. I am still contemplating replace the ignition switch but also felt I had fuel issues – none of the auto parts stores here rent a fuel pressure gauge. Thought of purchasing a fuel pressure grade to test at the fuel rail. Advice?
          Thanks,

Milty

Participant

Fuel pumps when they begin to fail progressively get worse over time.
            I believe you have some other issue.
            It could be the ignition switch or relay, but with out seeing and testing that would only be a guess.

Participant

When you say relay – do you mean main relay under dash or fuel pump relay or possibly both? I’ll try to visually look at those and/or use a test light. Just odd it would work fine for over a week now – but I guess its intermittent.

Thanks,

Milty

Participant

I couldn’t say for certain.
                You’ll need a wiring diagram for your specific vehicle to see exactly what components are in play during the run and start cycles.

Richard St.LouisRichard St.Louis
                Participant

I had a similar problem like this a few years ago. Problem was that the EGR valve was getting stuck (intermittently) and causing the car engine to not maintain its idle at cold start. The EGR valve had a lot of black carbon build-up on its plunger when I took it off. I just cleaned mine out instead of replacing it.

Viewing 6 replies - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…