Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • ETCG Answers Questions Live #78 (AMA) 11/23/2016

ETCG Answers Questions Live #78 (AMA) 11/23/2016

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge ETCG Answers Questions Live ETCG Answers Questions Live #78 (AMA) 11/23/2016

Tagged: 

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

This will actually be my last live show of 2016. I have other obligations and a vacation that make this so. I will however do my best to answer as many of your questions as I can during this show.

Once the show concludes, I’ll post the video to this thread and then lock it.

Post your questions early for the best chance of getting it answered.

See you tonight!

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      BenjaminBenjamin
      Participant

Hey Eric! Hope as is well! I’m excited to hear that farimount fire up. My question is I have a 97 Silverado with a 5.7. It seems to be going through fuel pumps quite often I have put 4 in the last 5 years. Any ideas of why that would be happening? I always check the fuse first and relay and they’ve always been good. Thanks Eric and stay dirty!

andrewandrew
        Participant

what was your first repair on a vehicle? thanks for all the help. I have been able to use knowledge gained from you to help other people out.

Mohammad MohsenMohammad Mohsen
          Participant

Hello Eric, how are you doing?
            Let’s say I’m installing a new master cylinder and want to bench bleed it using a bleeding kit (2 fittings attached to 2 rupper hoses dumped in the reservoir) with no access to a vise to hold it. Do you think it’s a good idea to mount it on the car, and set the bleeding kit and bleed it by pressing the brake pedal?

Ken HydeKen Hyde
            Participant

Eric,

No automotive question… Just wanted to say Thanks for all your help through the years and hope that you have a great Holiday season with your family. Enjoy!

Ken Hyde

Jeff hutchinsJeff hutchins
              Participant

Hey eric love the videos I have a 2002 f150 4×4 my issue is when I go to put it in 4 wheel drive the lever refuses to move any tips would be greatly appreciated thanks jeff your neighbor from dayton ohio

SjorsSjors
                Participant

Hey Eric,
                  I want to buy a decent 1/2″ drive socket set. I have come across length adjustable ratchets and extensions. What do you think of these items?
                  Greetings from the Netherlands!

Connor KempConnor Kemp
                  Participant

Howdy Eric,
                    Huge fan of your videos, i was introduced to them sophomore year by our auto tech teacher and have been a hardcore fan ever since. Lots of things Ive learned from you!

Anyways lets get right down to it. So I have an 03′ Honda civic LX, all around wonderful car. It was originally my dads car who has done an excellent job with keeping up the required maintenance on it. Ever since Ive gotten it it has this super weird quirk that it likes to do. Occasionally when I fill up at the gas station it will idle really low when I come to a stoplight or a stop sign (300-500 RPM range) and will only start doing this either a couple of miles right after I fill up or the following day. Its an occasional thing so I can fill up at times and it will drive perfectly fine or when its idling rough I can give it gas and it will run fine. Which is what boggles my mind. Sometimes it will happen once and sometimes it will happen multiple times until it eventually goes away. Ive never had it stall on me, and when I push the accelerator its pretty quick at picking back up and going. Ive used all different brands of gas and they all yield the same issue. Ive filled it up from different levels, empty, 1/4, half ,3/4, you name it, its seems to be just completely random. Fuel pump hasn’t been showing any signs of going out because I would assume it would affect acceleration and driving normally and not just idling. I recently had a fuel system cleaning done at a local car shop so I don’t think its a dirty intake or anything.. Battery has been completely replaced and connections are solid. Any ideas would be appreciated!
                    Thanks!
                    Connor

Jason GuiryJason Guiry
                    Participant

Hi Eric,

Might you have something laying on the bench in front of you, or in the shop, that you could explain how it works? A car part, tool, equipment or otherwise. If this was tomorrow I’d call this segment ‘Tinkering Thursday’ #1

Stay awesome bro.

SamSam
                      Participant

Thanks for all the great videos they have helped me learn new things and expand my abilities. THANKS. Just picked up a 1989 chevy caprice with the 305 v8. Only has 42000 miles on it. It is tbi how hard would it be to switch it to carb? Stay Dirty

GarthGarth
                        Participant

What is your opinion regarding the use of battery blankets. I always thought they were great for the frigid weather here in Canada, but a guy from a battery store didn’t recommend their use.
                          P.S. Your site has helped me become more knowledgeable and confident backyard mechanic. Thanks, and have a restful vacation with your family!

fredsmythsonfredsmythson
                          Participant

Just wondering if you ever considered doing the Fridays at the Red Line series again. Always looked forward to seeing these videos every Friday in the past… Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving! Thanks…

Greg SengerGreg Senger
                            Participant

Hey Eric! Happy Thanksgiving to you and the family! I Got into your show when I bought my Honda Element, watching your vids for repairs and I’ve been a fan since, especially of Fixing it Forward. Any Tips for buying a mid 90’s Honda? I know you’ve said that they’re among the best cars made and if my Element has carried the tradition, I’d agree. Any things I should look out for specific to Hondas? Also, I’m torn between the tunability of a Civic 5 speed vs the classic coupe look of a Prelude? What say you? Thanks so much for all you do. Stay Dirty my friend!

BrianBrian
                              Participant

Hey Eric, Happy early Thanksgiving!

My ’06 Stratus has very little heat reaching the cabin, and I’m planning on flushing out the heater core in the near future. Any thing new you’ve learned since your video from 6 years ago (other than to wear a face shield)? I’ve read that the CLR may be too harsh to use, and I’m going to opt for the Prestone chemicals instead. Any other advice?

Adrian KolliasAdrian Kollias
                                Participant

Who did you vote for and why?

RossRoss
                                  Participant

Hi Eric!
                                    I’m back with my 2007 Hyundai tiburon SE (v6 6speed manual 127k miles), and I can’t figure out what is causing this P0153 CEL (Oxygen Sensor Circuit Slow Response B2S1). The car runs great, no performance problem, good mpg, can’t find anything wrong with it really hoping you can help. It takes about 200 miles for the CEL to come back after clearing it. It’s also worth mentioning this car is completely stock, no mods done to the engine. I bought the car with lean codes thanks to an eBay cold air intake that had bad couplers, that’s been replaced with a factory air box.

thanks again for all your help, I’m really stuck on this one, I don’t want to take it to a repair shop but I might have to. Stay Awesome!

Everything I’ve done:
                                    [COLOR=”Red”]Replaced [/COLOR]CAI with a factory intake system
                                    [COLOR=”Red”]Replaced [/COLOR]spark plugs and ignition wires
                                    [COLOR=”Red”]Replaced [/COLOR]MAF (OEM)
                                    [COLOR=”Red”]Replaced [/COLOR]EVAP canister purge solenoid
                                    [COLOR=”Red”]Replaced [/COLOR]PCV valve
                                    [COLOR=”Red”]Replaced [/COLOR]Upper/Lower intake manifold & throttle body gaskets
                                    [COLOR=”Red”]Replaced [/COLOR]Timing belt
                                    [COLOR=”Red”]Replaced [/COLOR]B2S1 (front upper) o2 sensor (OEM)
                                    [COLOR=”Orange”]Checked [/COLOR]B2S1 (front upper) o2 sensor circuit: [COLOR=”Orange”]OK[/COLOR]
                                    [COLOR=”Orange”]Checked [/COLOR]B2S1 (front upper) o2 sensor output voltage: [COLOR=”Orange”]OK[/COLOR]
                                    [COLOR=”Orange”]Checked [/COLOR]intake air temperature sensor: [COLOR=”Orange”]OK[/COLOR]
                                    [COLOR=”Orange”]Checked [/COLOR]fuel pressure: [COLOR=”Orange”]OK[/COLOR]
                                    [COLOR=”Orange”]Checked [/COLOR]exhaust manifold for leaks: [COLOR=”Orange”]OK[/COLOR]
                                    (OK indicates within spec according to the service manual / no problem found)

Edit: Note, not all replacements were replaced regarding this engine code

~Freeze Frame Data~
                                    DTC that caused required freeze frame data storage: [COLOR=”Orange”]P0153[/COLOR]
                                    Fuel system 1 status: [COLOR=”Orange”]CL[/COLOR]
                                    Fuel system 2 status: [COLOR=”Orange”]CL[/COLOR]
                                    Calculate LOAD Value: [COLOR=”Orange”]31.8%[/COLOR]
                                    Engine Coolant Temperature: [COLOR=”Orange”]195°F[/COLOR]
                                    Short Term Fuel Trim – Bank 1: [COLOR=”Orange”]3.1%[/COLOR]
                                    Long Term Fuel Trim – Bank 1: [COLOR=”Orange”]-3.9%[/COLOR]
                                    Short Term Fuel Trim – Bank 2: [COLOR=”Orange”]-3.9%[/COLOR]
                                    Long Term Fuel Trim – Bank 2: [COLOR=”Orange”]-2.3%[/COLOR]
                                    Engine RPM: [COLOR=”Orange”]2661/min[/COLOR]
                                    Vehicle Speed: [COLOR=”Orange”]60mph[/COLOR]
                                    Ignition Timing Advance for [URL=http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1[/URL] Cylinder: [COLOR=”Orange”]36.5°[/COLOR]
                                    Intake Air Temperature: [COLOR=”Orange”]66°F[/COLOR]
                                    Air Flow Rate from Mass Air Flow Sensor: [COLOR=”Orange”]3.1b/min[/COLOR]
                                    Absolute Throttle Position: [COLOR=”Orange”]14.5%[/COLOR]

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…