Menu

ETCG Answers Questions Live #79 (AMA) 1/4/2017

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge ETCG Answers Questions Live ETCG Answers Questions Live #79 (AMA) 1/4/2017

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

This will be my first live show of 2017! It’s good to be back.

The show will begin at 7pm EST 1/4/2017. I’m going to make this an AMA style show so you can ask automotive questions as well as whatever you like (within reason). I’ll do my best to answer as many questions as possible in the hour I’ll be doing the show. Here’s a hint. The sooner you post your question, the more likely it is to get answered.

After the show concludes, I’m going to post the video to this thread and lock it down until the next show scheduled for 1/18/2017.

Hope to see you tonight!

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      JerryJerry
      Participant

Hi Eric,

I have a 2007 f150 with 150,000 miles on it, I recently noticed the gasket on the rear diff is leaking oil and trying to figure out wether or not to use a premade gasket or some RTV. It’s a 9.75″ diff if that matters. Also what torque do I need to tighten the bolts to?

How’s it going Eric. I wanted your help on helping me decide on doubling/ tripling my stock horsepower on my car. I currently have a Suzuki Grand Vitara 2008 RWD 2.7l V6. I was planning on twin turbo charging but I need to know if my current engine will be able to handle the tune. I would like to know all the specs of my engine like where to find that sort of information. As well as any other information about tuning.

HaythamHaytham
        Participant

Hi Eric, i wish you a happy 2017

Quick question, i have a 1999 jeep grand Cherokee with 4.0l engine and sometimes it idles high, i had a spare idle air control so i put it in and still the same problem, all my hoses are connected and where they should, now i think it’s a bad PCV valve can a bad PCV valve case a high idle ?

thank you

JonathanJonathan
          Participant

First off, I appreciate everything you put out. I love your integra videos and I hope to see more, I was wondering what someone who is looking to buy an integra should look out for, especially one of the vintage of your GSR? Sorry for the poor sentence structure

Michael KennedyMichael Kennedy
            Participant

Hello Eric! Happy new year from Scotland!

Long time subscriber!
              My question.
              I’ve bought a 2004 Rover 75 2litre Diesel auto with 120k miles. everyone is telling me the Headgasket WILL fail. Is there anything I can do to prevent this? there seems to be no signs at the moment of headgasket failure.

Thanks! Happy new year!

armandoarmando
              Participant

hi Eric, i wanna know how its possible that the engines mostkly noticed on diesel that they have a big static compression pressure, 1:25 CR if we have 1 bar lets say when we suck air inside why at top dead center we ll have like 30 bar when we teorically would have 25bars. hope you can understand, thanks.

Britt RelefordBritt Releford
                Participant

Hi Eric!
                  Britt Releford (rel e ford) here.
                  2011 Mazda Speed 3, 2.3 Turbo-charged engine all stock, 70k miles. Changed the plugs at 55k as per Mazda recommendation and they were fine. The car does not use oil at all. It runs great but I have noticed that the tailpipes are always sooty and occasionally, see a puff of black smoke when I accelerate. No codes in the ECU and the gas mileage is better than the average for this car. Any thoughts as to the cause?

Thanks for all you do and keep the Fairmont vids coming.

Rich EdingerRich Edinger
                  Participant

Hi, Eric.

I have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ that makes a loud bang when I drive over a speed hump. It happens on the driver’s side front only. I’ve replaced the tie rods already and during that procedure, I noticed that the bump stop is sheared off at the top of the cup that it sits in. Could this be the problem?

Thanks for the great videos. I really appreciate your time.

Rich

DIck HardDIck Hard
                    Participant

Hey E-man whats poppin, Whats the best aftermarket shocks and springs for a 97 Saturn? Also is it easy enough for a diy job or is it worth it to pay a shop to do it?

Michael LebertMichael Lebert
                      Participant

Hey Eric! Was wondering what classic cars (1945-1979) to stay away from and which are alright. I’m 18 and will be licensed soon I’m in the process of driving school, making and saving money to hopefully soon be able to get me a driveable project car “hopefully” haha. I was looking around locally on Craigslist and when the time comes I’ll go with someone like my uncle who knows more about those cars to check them out. Since you are a professional and enthusiast of the automotive world I was hoping to get an opinion from you thanks! P.s. I’m not new just made a new account

Alex BosworthAlex Bosworth
                        Participant

Hi Eric,

I have an interesting rumble/grumble coming from one side of my exhaust. I own a 2006 Honda Accord V6 6S Sedan (with 145K miles) which has a single exhaust that splits into two before it exits at the rear of the car. It’s truly an excellent vehicle. However, I heard this noise one day and I’m more curious than concerned. Primarily because I hear the noise in one exhaust port but not the other. I haven’t had any check engine lights or other problems since owning the car. The only thing I can think of is that I did a valve adjustment about 2 years ago and may have left something loose. I’m not sure if it’s reasonable to think that could happen without some sort of catastrophic failure or even make a noise that happens to propagate to one exhaust port and not the other, but I’m curious if you have any thoughts.

Thanks for all the great content,

Alex

LukasLukas
                          Participant

Hey Eric, my name is Lukas, I drive a 1986 Chevrolet Monte carlo with a 350 small block, I noticed that in the rain it acts like it is going to stall, I replaced my spark plugs, wires, distributer and the MSD box and I am stumped upon what will fix my problem, and I wonder if you have any ideas, thanks stay dirty

DeanDean
                            Participant

Hi 2 questions, first car vibrates a lot when turning left any idea? And my car seems to use a lot of oil, would a service help or is this natural for the car. It’s a 2.0 skoda fabia

Kristena HackettKristena Hackett
                              Participant

Hello Eric,

Happy New Year!
                                I bought my ’94 Mercury Topaz V4 Automatic about a month ago. I pulled the codes and it had a P158 for the MAF sensor. I replaced the MAF sensor, air filter, PCV, and fuel filter. I was on the freeway today and I noticed it was making this exaggerated revving sound after sixty mph. Then it slowly and consistently lost speed. I immediately got off the freeway in time to coast into the gas station as it cut off. Then when I tried to restart it, it will not turn over. I bought a new battery and I have also replaced the starter. It sounds like a normal crank but still will not turn over. I do hear the fuel pump when I turn the key. I did record video of me trying to start it. If sound would be helpful, then I can send the video file. Help! :unsure: :ohmy:

DwayneDwayne
                                Participant

I have a 2012 Rav4, with 92k. The TPMS light has been on for two weeks. The pressure’s good and the valve stems aren’t loose or leaking. Any ideas on what the issue could be?

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Loading…