Menu

ETCG Answers Questions Live #81 (AMA) 2/1/2017

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge ETCG Answers Questions Live ETCG Answers Questions Live #81 (AMA) 2/1/2017

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

The show will go live at 7pm EST. This will be another AMA style show, but the main focus is on answering your automotive questions. I’ll answer as many questions as I can during the hour. Once the hour is up, I’ll post the finished video to this thread and lock it until the next show which will be in 2 weeks, Feb 15, 2017.

Hope to see you there!

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      JoshJosh
      Participant

My name is Josh and I met you at the very awesome meet up last July.

Any advice for an entry-level tech with job interviews to move beyond entry level 20 hr work weeks? I have lots of side-work/shade tree type experience (alternators, starters, brake jobs, etc) but only 9 months in a shop (WalMart Auto Care Center) just doing oil changes and tire work-and have most of my own basic tools. Self taught (lots of your videos and my Automotive Technology book) and I’m sick of being broke.

ChristianChristian
        Participant

I have a 1999 Buick Regal ls with a 3800 turbo. I am wondering what are some easy things I can do to gain better acceleration. It already has a k and n air and oil filter with full synthetic oil. Also has new bosch spark plugs. I have knowledge on cars but don’t want to do anything really hard,any recommendations?

Benjamin PlattBenjamin Platt
          Participant

Hi Eric hope you are doing good. 97 Silverado 5.7 I’m incredibly frustrated with this truck. I top off the radiator and resorvor a week later they are both low. I’ve done every test under the sun and checked all the hoses. Any advice would be helpful, thank you and stay dirty. Ps dark matter pikachu is badass.

Jason BurdJason Burd
            Participant

Hey Eric,

Thanks for the advice on the film gear from the last AMA!

My daily driver is a 2012 Honda Civic LX 5 spd manual and it’s got 226k miles on the original motor and tranny. I bought it brand new in 2011 and I love this car because it’s been so dependable and also because of all the memories I’ve had with my family in this car. Unfortunately, it hasn’t been shifting so well lately. My issue is with 3rd and 5th gear. The car won’t let me shift into 5th from 4th without double clutching and it won’t let me go into 3rd from 4th if I don’t rev match before pushing it into 3rd (I usually rev match and shift at the same time).

Since this shifting issue seems to happen whenever I’m shifting from 4th gear, does that mean there’s something wrong with my 4th gear synchro?

Also, the clutch and tranny fluid were replaced at the Honda dealership about 40k miles ago if that helps at all.

Joshua CampbellJoshua Campbell
              Participant

Hey Eric,

Did you make it into the first 100 founding members of the humblemechanic.com premium crew membership?

Will BushWill Bush
                Participant

What engine is in your fairmont project and when will it be done? Also what college did you go to and what was so great about it?

Jeremy ParkerJeremy Parker
                  Participant

Hello Eric,

i have a 1998 Dodge Dakota Sport, 3.9 v6 2wd single cab 5 speed. i have been noticing that as I’m driving, more intensely with speed, i get a vibration that comes in pulses. originally thought U-joints, but i got under and tried really hard to move the driveshaft and nothing, solid as a rock. there IS a cracked transmission mount, but i cant feel or see the vibrations through the gear lever. i can still see the balancing weights on the driveshaft so i don’t think that is out of balance..what do you recommend? also, whats the easiest or most reliable way of sealing a fuel line between the filler neck and tank? i replaced the neck (having to cut the collar) and tried putty yet i still leak fuel sometimes on filling from that joint.

p.s. i love learning from your videos, i have learned a lot from them and your “Fixing it Forward” series is a huge inspiration for me to help others

Chris MicklusChris Micklus
                    Participant

I know you’re busy entertaining and educating us, but have you gotten a chance to watch the Grand Tour (new Top Gear) yet? If so what’re your thoughts?

Thanks for the videos, mechanical knowledge, and all the money you’ve saved my family! 🙂

Slade MitchellSlade Mitchell
                      Participant

Howdy Eric! Hope you make it this far!

I have been working at a dealership for a few months now. Its my first time working in a dealership environment and being the new guy I get the usual jabs a new guy gets. However I wanted to know if you had any tips to keep myself on everyones “nice list.” I know you made a couple videos about your dealership experience and everything you said I can easily see and relate to, you do a great job explaining it. Basically I’ve noticed the best thing to do is keep your head down, get your work done, and try to avoid most the other people seems to be a good tactic so far. Does that mean my whole employment I should assume that if I’m not being talked to I’m doing okay? Haha. Sort of a “No news is good news” type place.

Thanks man, I am always thrilled to enjoy more and more of your content.

Michael KennedyMichael Kennedy
                        Participant

Hello Eric from Scotland!
                          Long time subscriber!

My question.
                          I’ve bought a 2004 Rover 75 2litre Diesel auto with 120k miles. everyone is telling me the Headgasket WILL fail because of design quality. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening? there seems to be no signs at the moment of headgasket failure.

Craig ForemanCraig Foreman
                          Participant

Hi Eric,

I have a 1.4L Turbo Vauxhall (Opel) corsa and it seems to be Idling very rough, i don’t have to be inside the car and it will start reving. It’s only 2 years old full service each year and it’s had both oxagen sensors changed. Any ideas

Thanks in advance, keep the great videos coming.

JohnathanJohnathan
                            Participant

Will a 150 wet shot blow the stock 360ci engine skyhigh?
                              the truck has been over 20 years and i want to send it out in style at 1320 videos ICC17 event. its been good till recently when i got into a collision then things went down hill. so im importing a “new” car to replace it. scraping the old girl doesn’t feel right but i can’t afford to fix it. the WHOLE front end needs rebuilt.

Jeremy AgostinoJeremy Agostino
                              Participant

Hi Eric!

I’ve got a late-model Subaru Impreza that I love, except for the feel with the automatic transmission. I almost regret not going for the standard, but I couldn’t find a single dealer that had a standard non-STI on the lot and I would never buy a standard without test driving it first. Anyway, the automatic has a CVT and the throttle/transmission setup is extremely computerized. It does a strange thing while driving where there’s a decent lag between for example flooring the pedal and the throttle actually opening. I’ve done some research and it’s possible to dump and flash the firmware for the ECU and TCU. That would possibly let me “play with” the tables that relate throttle position, transmission gearing and pedal angle. I’m comfortable with electronics so I’m not really afraid of trying to tweak this stuff, but I was wondering if you could think of anything else I could do to make the car respond to the accelerator as if it was more mechanical. My last car was a late 90s Civic with a stick and I really miss “feeling” the car respond, even though the displacement wasn’t as big.

I know digital isn’t really your thing but I’m interested in any thoughts you’ve got :). Thanks!

edwinedwin
                                Participant

good evening eric, i was wondering if you would know what to do. my mazda protege 1999 dx 1.6l. my problem is i get a random misfire i pop the hood and wiggle the ignition coil pack in genral and that fixs it for a time then it happen’s again what should i do

BrunoBruno
                                  Participant

Hi Eric,
                                    Watching from Portugal, it is mid night here 🙂
                                    I have a 1988 VW Golf and at night light’s don’t have good performance, I have H4 bulbs, should I upgrade to xenon or is there a cheaper solution?

Thanks, i’ve been learning a lot from your videos 🙂 B)

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…