Menu

ETCG Answers Questions Live #81 (AMA) 2/1/2017

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge ETCG Answers Questions Live ETCG Answers Questions Live #81 (AMA) 2/1/2017

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

The show will go live at 7pm EST. This will be another AMA style show, but the main focus is on answering your automotive questions. I’ll answer as many questions as I can during the hour. Once the hour is up, I’ll post the finished video to this thread and lock it until the next show which will be in 2 weeks, Feb 15, 2017.

Hope to see you there!

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      JamesJames
      Participant

Hey Eric,

I got a 99 Dodge durango, that’s kind of a rust bucket. I have a transmission issue. It started with an output speed sensor code and it getting stuck in high gear. Replaced the output speed sensor but it had a bunch of metal on it. Now I have a 3-4 shift malfunction code and the trans just doesn’t feel right even if I clear the code. Do you think it would be worth it to pull the pan and change the filter and fluid or do something else? it only has 118k miles on it.

Thanks!

ConnorConnor
        Participant

Eric,
          I just got a 1998 Mercury Mystique (2.5L V6) I just got as a first car… I have a few problems. Recently when the car started idling it would run for 20ish seconds before dropping rpm and dying. Could it be the IAC valve is choking the engine? Also, how would I identify where oil leaks are coming from? Thanks for the videos, they all help a ton!

Charles PuttCharles Putt
          Participant

Hey, Eric,

I’m curious what you have going on with the Element’s headlights, but I have a more important question. My girlfriend’s ’06 Odyssey just turned 120k and is making the telltale roaring noise of a bad wheel bearing. Instead of just replacing the bearing, I want to dive the whole way in and replace both front bearings, both lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rod ends, both half shafts, all four dampers and progressive rate rear springs. Is this a wise course of action or am I doing too much work too soon? One advantage to this course of action would be to get the lower control arm, steering spindle and strut out of the way when I replace the timing belt and water pump. Your thoughts?

alexalex
            Participant

Hey Eric, I have a 98 Towncar with 113k. It recently has been running VERY VERY lean but not throwing any codes. I know it’s running lean because my scan tool shows short and long term fuel trims adding 32%
              There is a hole in the resonator around the middle of the back seat area which is bigger than it was couple months ago. Seeing if there is a possiblitiy that air is going backwards to an O2 sensor?

Also I cleaned the MAF sensor.

The fuel pressure at the rail is low 30s and IT DOESNT JUMP WHEN JUST TURNING IGN ON. Is that normal or should it jump? What should I look at? Can I put a fuel gauge between the filter and pump?

Thanks great vids

Page CookPage Cook
              Participant

Hey “Eric”

I have a 07 Dodge Ram 1500 and while I was driving it this weak it got stuck in 4th gear. It’s a automatic. I checked the fluid it was fine and no discoloration. While driving I could put it into 1st 2nd, and neutral fine but when in Drive it would be in the mentioned higher gear even from take off. Now it’s been a frigid week in WNY but I don’t think the cold is the culprit. After turning it off and let it sit for a bit it was fine. Should I be concerned about this happening down the road again or chalk it up to freaky coincidence?

William McguireWilliam Mcguire
                Participant

Hi Eric
                  I have a 2001 Gmc jimmy is there anything I can do to get more power or boost. Would a cold air intake do any or not.
                  Thanks

Allan F WrightAllan F Wright
                  Participant

Hey Eric,
                    We’re all happy to be the students. Thanks for your time.

JoshJosh
                    Participant

Hey eric First of your videos are amazingly detailed and i learn every time i watch, Your dedication to the channel and your work is awesome!

I have a 1991 oldsmobile cutlass calais, The car has a 2.5l iron duke, An engine from several other GM cars, I am considering doing a manual swap, the car has a thm125 automatic three speed, the only available transmission that is manual is a getrag 282 or Muncie 282, out of a pontiac fiero, a Rear engine rwd car, My question is, Considering hte pontiac trans is on the other side, My question is should i be conerned about ransmission mounts and trans pan clearence andthings like that swapping a rear engine trans into my fwd Olds. Also any other advice for a manual swap?I have no problem fabricating custom mounts or whatever

Also my 2005 chevy Malibu has a recurring 8 random codes including fuel and traction control, yada yada yada and they come on and come off randomly sometimes comes on when I floor it. Could these all be one simple issue?

Thanks

BlakeBlake
                      Participant

2003 Subaru Forester here. When super cold outside (0-20 degrees F), I get a fuel leak where the rubber fuel lines fit onto the metal fuel lines. I’ve tried to tighten clamps, but continues to leak and sometimes needs retightening. I’ve heard this is common on Subarus.

ReginaldReginald
                        Participant

Hello Eric,

I’ve got a 1984 Honda Accord that’s running rich. Idles too low once warmed up (200-300 RPM) and shakes the car unless I put it in Neutral or Park, which raises the RPM to 800-1000 RPM. Carburetor has been rebuilt, distributor, wires, plugs and rotor replaced, air and pcv filters replaced – pretty much everything. The only thing I haven’t replaced related to the issue is the EVAP canister. Could this be the problem or is it something else?

Daniel AndersenDaniel Andersen
                          Participant

Hey Eric, love the channel.

I own a 2000 Nissan Primera, 160k miles, rust here and there, locks work when they want, 0-60 in about 2 hours, butt-warmer does not work!! Considering upgrading to a slightly newer German car. Please stop me.

Kristopher PaulsonKristopher Paulson
                            Participant

07 Jeep liberty, knocking from front passenger side only in 4wd…. i suspect the cv axle and/or inner mid shaft. Could this be because the axle only gets enough torque in 4wd to make the noise?

kishavakishava
                              Participant

Hi Eric Have you ever heard of the Acura CSX Type s. Whats your opninons on it?

BlakeBlake
                                Participant

2003 Subaru Forester here. When super cold outside (0-20 degrees F), I get a fuel leak where the rubber fuel lines fit onto the metal fuel lines. I’ve tried to tighten clamps, but continues to leak and sometimes needs retightening. I’ve heard this is common on Subarus.

ConnorConnor
                                  Participant

Eric,
                                    I just got a 1998 Mercury Mystique (2.5L V6) I just got as a first car… I have a few problems. Recently when the car started idling it would run for 20ish seconds before dropping rpm and dying. Could it be the IAC valve is choking the engine? Also, how would I identify where oil leaks are coming from? Thanks for the videos, they all help a ton!

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…