Menu

ETCG Gets a 1998 RL

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge ETCG1 Video Discussions ETCG Gets a 1998 RL

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

You must be thinking I have enough cars, and you’d be right. So why did I purchase this one? Because it had working steering wheel motors that I can use on my friends car, the 2002 and I only paid $200 for it. To be honest, I’m not sure what I’m going to do with the car beyond that.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      JamesJames
      Participant

Sounds like a good parts car for your friend for only $200 bucks. Couple of trips to the parts store would pay for that.

Nicholas ClarkNicholas Clark
        Participant

As much as I hate to say it, probably parts car. Let’s look at it this way. You own:

Fairmont
          Vigor Auto
          Vigor Stick
          Element
          Integra GSR
          Mustang
          98 RL
          Chevy Truck
          More maybe I forgot.

If you keep this up, you’re not going to know what to drive to the shop every day. It really comes down to how much work you want to put into the RL. It already has 220+k miles on it. Face it, it won’t run forever. If you were confident you could get another 100k out of it and you could get it not to stink, then maybe sure I would fix it. You know everything about those vehicles, so yeah that’s the X factor there. Maybe there’s some repair videos in it. But you never know. It could blow up in 5k miles if you fix it because of the miles and who knows how well it was maintained. You would be the best person to make that judgment.

Also, for car smells, try putting cat litter in a tube sock and leaving it in the car. It does help. Maybe a whole drawer full of socks full of cat litter, maybe. It also helps with moisture control.

Good luck!

MikeMike
          Participant

Drop it onto a Blazer or Bronco frame and drive train.

Winter is coming. Who wouldn’t want a 4wd Acura?

Keymaster

[quote=”Hockeyclark” post=177763]As much as I hate to say it, probably parts car. Let’s look at it this way. You own:

Fairmont
              Vigor Auto
              Vigor Stick
              Element
              Integra GSR
              Mustang
              98 RL
              Chevy Truck
              More maybe I forgot.

If you keep this up, you’re not going to know what to drive to the shop every day. It really comes down to how much work you want to put into the RL. It already has 220+k miles on it. Face it, it won’t run forever. If you were confident you could get another 100k out of it and you could get it not to stink, then maybe sure I would fix it. You know everything about those vehicles, so yeah that’s the X factor there. Maybe there’s some repair videos in it. But you never know. It could blow up in 5k miles if you fix it because of the miles and who knows how well it was maintained. You would be the best person to make that judgment.

Also, for car smells, try putting cat litter in a tube sock and leaving it in the car. It does help. Maybe a whole drawer full of socks full of cat litter, maybe. It also helps with moisture control.

Good luck![/quote]

I did buy it just as a parts car and only because it had the parts I needed for my friend’s car. Once the Fairmont is done, I plan to thin the heard. I’ll likely get rid of the Mustang and one of the Vigors. Then I’ll look into building the truck and the GSR. Hopefully I won’t pick anything else up before then.

I’ll have to try the kitty litter sock thing. I suppose that makes sense since it’s designed to absorb odor. Someone also suggested used coffee grounds.

Keymaster

[quote=”Evil-i” post=177767]Drop it onto a Blazer or Bronco frame and drive train.

Winter is coming. Who wouldn’t want a 4wd Acura?[/quote]

Sounds fun but too much work.

Nicholas ClarkNicholas Clark
                Participant

[quote=”EricTheCarGuy” post=177801] I did buy it just as a parts car and only because it had the parts I needed for my friend’s car. Once the Fairmont is done, I plan to thin the heard. I’ll likely get rid of the Mustang and one of the Vigors. Then I’ll look into building the truck and the GSR. Hopefully I won’t pick anything else up before then.
                  [/quote]

I love both of your Vigors. If you do decide to let one go, make sure you do a video about why. I know you don’t want to do a stick swap because that’s a bit too much work. Maybe work on the manual one a bit and see if you fall as hard in love with it as you did the red one. There is nothing better than driving a stick in my book. So that would make it worth working on to me, personally. I love them both, so I don’t want you to get rid of either one.

I’m not partial to the Mustang, though.

PetePete
                  Participant

Do you know a place that fixes the Odometer backlights on these things? They’re impossible to replace.

Keymaster

[quote=”zdza” post=179352]Do you know a place that fixes the Odometer backlights on these things? They’re impossible to replace.[/quote]

Most speedometer shops should be able to handle it. I might be mistaken but I think you can replace the bulbs in these. When I get a min I plan on removing mine to see if that’s the case.

PetePete
                      Participant

[quote=”EricTheCarGuy” post=179412]Most speedometer shops should be able to handle it. I might be mistaken but I think you can replace the bulbs in these. When I get a min I plan on removing mine to see if that’s the case.[/quote]

I should have chosen my words more carefully, the ‘backlight’ is the digital display that will fade out after a while or just stop working.

It looks like it’s gone like my RL (pictured) it will require either one of these parts (pictured) or a resolder/resistor swap on the power circuit behind the cluster. It’s hard to find those parts and usually they sell for hundreds of dollars.

Good luck, and if you find a place let me know 🙂

Keymaster

Sometimes the bulbs in those units are replaceable.

PetePete
                          Participant

Hm, anyway it goes I’d like to see how you accomplish it 🙂

CharlieCharlie
                            Participant

Hi Eric, I know this is a couple years behind… but I just recently bought a’98 RL picked it up for a great deal. It’s got low miles and is in great condition. Only issue is that it needs a new transmission. Any tips on replacing it or common problems that occur that could fix it? Thanks

Keymaster

I covered the common problems with those vehicles in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C62V3rzmqvo&t=17s

As for the transmission, it’s very heavy, tall, and would be difficult to replace on the ground. Be careful.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                              Loading…