Menu

Evap Monitor

• Creator
    Topic
    DavidS827DavidS827
    Participant

I have 2002 F150 5.4L. I have done the ford drive cycle a number of times and can’t get the evap monitor to complete its cycle. I need to get my emissions done and they wont pass me with the p1000 code registering as a result of the evap monitor not completing its cycle. Any ideas? I have gone to the Ford dealership and a friend there tested the evap system and said everything passed. I’m out of ideas now!!!

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
      Keymaster

Quoted From dreamer2355:

Do you have a scan tool to see which I/M monitors have and have not run? Having access to a bi-directional scan tool will give you the ability to activate purge and vent valve solenoids too in the EVAP system as well as completing a vacuum test on the system to check for leaks.

Have you done any repairs to the vehicle as of late?

I also believe there is a way to run the monitor or force it to run with the right scan tool.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
        Participant

I used a Genesis scan tool to run the LDP on Dodge Dakota that i repaired. It had a P0442. There was a cracked hose by the EVAP canister we found after using a smoke machine S:)

BigCBigC
          Participant

Hi Davids827,

Make sure the fuel level in the gas tank is at the proper level. I believe if the gas tank is too full, or too empty, the EVAP monitor system won’t run. Is it absolutely known that the EVAP monitor system is the monitor that has not run and passed yet? All other monitors have passed? Just double checking. Keep us posted.

DavidS827DavidS827
            Participant

Yeah, i’m sure it’s the evap. I also made sure to follow the instructions in the drive cycle and my tank was 3/4 full when I started.

Third GearThird Gear
              Participant

In service manuals there is usually a flow chart for every problem. Did your friend check out every component in the system? Ohm out the wires, low resistance on grounds, etc? Usually the flowcharts always end with something like, “if problem is not solved, ECM is suspect. Replace with a known good ECM.” I hope that’s not the case though, but I wouldn’t rule out anything.

Make sure the ECM has a good ground because a lot circuits are turned on/off by the ECM internally grounding circuits. You just have to check every little thing that could have anything to do with the system, mechanical and electrical. Good luck!

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                Participant

Do you have a scan tool to see which I/M monitors have and have not run? Having access to a bi-directional scan tool will give you the ability to activate purge and vent valve solenoids too in the EVAP system as well as completing a vacuum test on the system to check for leaks.

Have you done any repairs to the vehicle as of late?

killmankillman
                  Participant

This is a non problem. The EVAP test may not run if the coolant or inlet air temperature is above or below a certain range (about 40F to 100F). This means that it will be impossible for the test to run sometimes during the summer and most of the winter in many places.

Goggle P1000 and click on the ford trucks link. Seems this is a common problem and again a non issue.

DavidS827DavidS827
                    Participant

Thanks guys – I’m taking it back to him tomorrow to see what else we can come up with. Yes, my scan toold does show which monitors have run. The catalyst and evap always end up the last two, but the evap never completes.

DavidS827DavidS827
                      Participant

For what it’s worth, I didn’t have this problem until I had to replace the 4wd vacuum lines, but it has been 1500 miles since then.

I have also done the drive cycle in temps from 65-105, so I don’t think that’s it. I am also not getting any codes other than the p1000.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Loading…