Menu

Fired for health problems?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Technicians Only Fired for health problems?

• Creator
    Topic
    RickRick
    Participant

A guy I work with was a trigger puller/ door kicker in the Army (for civilians that means he was an Infantry soldier).

I was a wild land fire fighter in the Air Force so I had to do a lot of stuff that grunts had to do. Hike through mountains for days, carry a heavy a## ruck sack, that sort of shit.

So me and this guy are CLOSE friends because civilians don’t get our sense of humor. It’s not a bad thing, people just don’t get it. Seriously if he killed a hooker in mexico and a Cartel was chasing him, I’d literally be a phone call away from mounting up a rescue op.

He came in this morning, punched in and the shop foreman pulled him into the Service managers office. I didn’t think anything of it. Next thing I see if my buddy coming back in civis (regular clothes) and turning all his uniforms in.

I walk outside with him and ask him Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? Apparently he admitted to our Service manager he has Military connected Anxiety issues. The service manager freaked because this field can be a little stressful (lol) and told my buddy that he didn’t tighten the drain plug on a car and the engine blew up. So they had to let him go.

Ironic, because he admitted to his health issues last Saturday. And this guy is squared the F### away. He doesn’t make mistakes like that, and the mistakes that he does make he always catches before it gets out of his bay.

I’m fucking furious right now, and I’m sending my resume out to other employers. I don’t know what good it will do because it seems like this field is full of shitty management.

Maybe it’s me……

BTW the service manager that fired my buddy has a yellow ribbon on his car supporting vets.

I want to piss on that sticker.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      JustinJustin
      Participant

Sounds to me like the svc manager had it out for your buddy and was just looking for an out.

Shitty management is everywhere. The last two dealers down here in south Florida I have worked at (different brands) all have had horrible management. I’m going to talk with another place this week myself.

Does your buddy have family to support or just himself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James P GrossoJames P Grosso
        Participant

Sorry to hear that. Seems like management is getting bad everywhere.
          I was one of the lucky vets from the late 1980 to early 1990’s

RickRick
          Participant

[quote=”Cammed 05″ post=175117]Sounds to me like the svc manager had it out for your buddy and was just looking for an out.

Shitty management is everywhere. The last two dealers down here in south Florida I have worked at (different brands) all have had horrible management. I’m going to talk with another place this week myself.

Does your buddy have family to support or just himself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

In all honesty I’m his family. He’s going through some rough times but he will make it. I always have his six.

I hope your job search goes well.

RickRick
            Participant

[quote=”451Mopar” post=175126]Sorry to hear that. Seems like management is getting bad everywhere.
              I was one of the lucky vets from the late 1980 to early 1990’s[/quote]

Thanks for your service brother.

Participant

Thank you too, just doing my part.

I have several friends who are veterans, both older (Vietnam), and younger (Iraq, Afghanistan.) Most are doing well, but a few have PTSD issues.
                My wife is friends with a lady/family from our church whose husband is on something like his seventh tour of duty!
                We help to support the family when we can, sometimes just watching the children so they can have some time alone.

RickRick
                Participant

[quote=”451Mopar” post=175193]Thank you too, just doing my part.

I have several friends who are veterans, both older (Vietnam), and younger (Iraq, Afghanistan.) Most are doing well, but a few have PTSD issues.
                  My wife is friends with a lady/family from our church whose husband is on something like his seventh tour of duty!
                  We help to support the family when we can, sometimes just watching the children so they can have some time alone.[/quote]

Damn, thank you brother. You are the glue that forms that brotherhood we always talk about. Civis don’t really get us. I go to night classes for auto school. A guy I’m buds with was a Ranger in the Ohio Guard. Did 11 tours. I saw his promotion picture one time. CIB, EIB, Blue cord, Ranger tab, Medals from his damn nipple to his collar bone. Then more on the other side. He misses a lot of class because of mental shit so I come to the school on my nights off and sneak into the lab with him and show him what we learned. I just hope I’m teaching him correctly LOL!!

My wife is supportive. Sometimes it means a lot of time away between work, school, and my teammates. I know many of us never served together, they are still my teammates.

My cousin was a Marine. Came home, shit got to heavy and things got really dark. I couldn’t save him, so I do all I can to make sure another team mate never sends themselves to Valhalla.

Thank you again for helping our teammates. I’m going to go have a few beers. Maybe 4,maybe 24.

zerozero
                  Participant

Lawyer up.

I’m not sure about the US, but in Canada every province has it’s own Human Rights Commission where issues of this nature can be taken for resolution of some sort. Maybe there’s some military related program he can access for assistance in resolving the current issue.

He needs to contact HR directly, not the manager, and request a copy of his personnel file. I’m guessing he also didn’t get a formal letter of termination, so he should fight anything he deems erroneous on his ROE. At least here, that system works a bit faster than anything else and if he can prove his wrongful dismissal quickly it might help him in the long run. This should include any reprimands. If they are claiming it is a specific vehicle and he has some sort of personal records, with your help maybe you can go in and see if he actually touched the car causing said incident. If you use Reynolds, you should be able to pull up the appropriate ROs to provide verification of some sort.

Be EXTREMELY careful not to actively slander the company you are working for in the past or future. Keep any social media posts to the basic facts. Better yet, don’t mention it at all. If you signed a pile of paperwork when you were hired probably had some sort of reference to not slandering the company online.

If there is a defined pattern of discrimination, he could also go the nuclear route and go to the media. But refer to my first comment first.

RickRick
                    Participant

He’s looking into a lawyer. The issue is lawyers are interested in how much they will make from the case. If it’s not 6 figures they consider it a waste of their time.

He has had a hard time coming up with the money to get his tools moved. Today the operations manager called him and told him to get his box moved or they’re going to push it outside to the curb.

I found the RO of the car he “blew the engine” on. I contacted the customer and they say their engine never blew up, and the work my buddy did was fine. No problems in any form.

I think my boss found out because he called me on my way home asking me to see him in his office in the morning.

I’m about done with that place anyways

none nonenone
                      Participant

I hope you already had a new job lined up before you made that phone call to the customer. It’s fine that you want to burn bridges with this shop, but it seems like you left yourself standing in the middle when you lit the match.

Participant

Not directly related to the Job situation, but they were talking about PTSD on the radio the other day about a movie called ACROMYM that you can get for free from the Veterans Business Network.

http://www.veteransbusinessnetwork.com/Default.aspx

RickRick
                          Participant

I called my old shop and had my old job back 20 mins later.

That shop makes the “apprentice” look like a low turn over rate.

Either way what’s done is done. My buddy got his tools moved for free, and he’s doing a lot better in life now.

RickRick
                            Participant

Quick update for those that care.

The service manager is losing his mind. No one knows why. He has been written up for calling techs “fucking clowns” in front of customers.

He and the operations manager have decided all spark plug jobs now pay two hours. And any oil changes that take longer than an hour on Saturdays are free.

I expect a mass exodus.

And yes I already left. Went back Toyota. I’m calling that home for a while.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            Loading…