Menu

Floor Jack question

• Creator
    Topic
    Richard RamonRichard Ramon
    Participant

Hi y’all, what are your thoughts on the 3ton Pittsburgh Jack sold at HF? It is the red model that sells for about $119.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

Good floor jack.
        Look for a coupon, save some $$$ and always use jack stands (not from HF)

Participant

Thank you again Richard. How come not to use jack stands from HF?

Participant

Where can I get some decent stands for decent prices?

Participant
              Participant

Got it. Yeah, I just read an article about the HF jack recall. I am planning on getting the Torin Big Red 3 ton double locking for my daughter’s sedan. And if they offer the double locking version of the taller ones I will use them for my Taco.

Participant

Hey Richard. When checking up the front end should I put chokes on the backs of the rear tires and same with back in front of the front tires?

Participant

Jacking up the front end, you’d want to block the backend of the rear wheels to prevent the car from rolling backwards providing the ground is flat and level.
                    If it’s not best to block both the front and rear of the back tires

Participant

Great! Thank you for your help

Participant

Hey Richard,

I still have not purchased my jack but have used my mechanic friend’s.

3 weekends ago, I(we) finally got around to replacing my lower ball joints and my outer tie rods (both sides). Took awhile as I have never worked on suspension prior. Everything went well until the last ball joint (passenger side). For some reason, we had a difficult time in getting the stem to seat properly and completely. Managed to get a few threads of the crown nut to take which is where I decided for my buddy to use his 1200 ft torque cordless. Well, we ended up stripping the stem and were unable to get the crown nut fastened all the way; hence we were unable to put the cotter pin in.

I managed to LIMP my truck home driving no more than 30mph on a couple freeways. The steering was scary at best! Drove it about 20 miles. My truck has been sitting in my driveway since. I am hoping an alignment will fix the issue but wanted to get your take.

thanks

Participant

Whoa ….
                          Your telling me you have a ball joint that has no captive holding nut and no cotter pin securing the castle nut of the ball joint.
                          My take is that you get another ball joint, remove the damaged one and properly install the new one before ever attempting to drive that vehicle again.
                          One other item to note:
                          If your alignment shop is any good they should refuse to perform an alignment providing they inspect all front end components.

Participant

Sorry, I meant to say the outer tie rod is the issue. Should I replace?

Participant

Yes, unless you’d like your passenger tire to make a sudden unexpected right or left turn of its own accord.
                              Also inspect the threads and find out why you had an issue threading the tie rod end

Participant

Okay. I have a feeling that the parts were not compatible. I had no problem getting the tie Rod on the driver’s side to slide right into the ball joint. The parts are moog replacements.
                                Should I order just another tie Rod from the same place hoping it will fit or what should I do?

Participant

First thing you should have done is visually compared the replacement parts to the originals to confirm they are the correct ones.
                                  Also confirm what you received was what you actually ordered, not uncommon that a mistake is made when your order was pulled and there is a mix up.
                                  Yes, order up another replacement.
                                  Double check that it is for your specific make and model.
                                  You can also check other sites using the MOOG p/n to confirm it is the part for your car.
                                  And before you commit to the install make sure it fits with out a struggle.
                                  If it doesn’t you can return it and try to get another MFG replacement.

Participant

Copy that. I did make sure the parts looked like the ones being replaced. It was a very good lesson for me. Thank you for your help, time and input.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…