Menu

Ford 200 six cylinder spark issues

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Ford 200 six cylinder spark issues

• Creator
    Topic
    Dave BergeronDave Bergeron
    Participant

Hello, I’ve got three ford Falcons that I rotate as daily drivers here in seattle. My 61 Ranchero has a 200 and when I first got it was driving fine but I noticed something odd about the ignition wiring. The plug wires did not match the cap/plug numbering. Timing light was useless as it appears the dizzy is in backwards and the timing mark is on the opposite side when # 1 fires. I set the timing with a vacuum gauge and am now wondering why the previous owner would have done this?

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
      Keymaster

If it was running and driving fine, it was likely wired up correctly. Technically, it really doesn’t matter where the wires go on the distributor so long as it fires at the correct time. I suspect you either had your timing light hooked up the the wrong lead when you checked the timing. I recommend using a timing light over setting the timing with a vacuum gauge for better accuracy. Additionally, you might also check for timing chain slack.

Good hunting

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…