Menu

Ford Taurus 3.0 (Vulcan OHV)

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Ford Taurus 3.0 (Vulcan OHV)

• Creator
    Topic
    Kevin CrawfordKevin Crawford
    Participant

Well I have sort of created a pickle for myself this past weekend doing some driveway mechanics on a 2005 Ford Taurus 3.0L OHV Vulcan engine. This was my sons car and he had a belt chirp occurring which my gut told me was the alternator or belt tensioner pulley but so much of what I researched on the internet mentions the Cam Position Synchronizer being the problem with this car. So I bought a synchronizer that came with the synchronizer tool. We rotated the crankshaft until it said we were on TDC on the synchronizer and installed the tool and pulled it out. We did not find anything wrong with it. So I reinstalled it but we must have skipped a tooth somehow and the car came out of time. I spent the next 8 hours going one way of the other trying to get things to line up with no luck. This car does have a harmonic balancer but I cannot find any markings to help me get to TDC. I tried taking out the #1 cylinder spark plug and putting a stiff wire in the hole I could watch as the piston came up but I think I am still slightly off. There is still a small stutter in the engine that only seems noticeable when the transmission is engaged. Anyone know how to find TDC when I have no markings to go off of?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
      Keymaster

It seems Mazda didn’t do you any favors with that engine. I found this info that you might find helpful. There is a video showing how to put the engine in time. I often find TDC by putting a screwdriver into the cylinder and watching it move as I rotate the engine. It’s not perfect, but it can get you close.

Good hunting.

Participant

I followed the video and the car runs and drives fine now. What a great video! After I started it up for the 2nd time it popped a code P0340 for the cam position sensor. I then put the old sensor back on with the new synchronizer and still cannot get it clear. Is it possible that I have a faulty synchronizer or something else? Almost out of the woods…..

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
          Keymaster

If you have a cam sensor code, the most likely cause is that things are still out of time. You might recheck everything to make sure it’s correct.

Participant

I rechecked everything last night and you were right. I must have been off a tooth still. Everything is working as it should again. Much appreciated!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…