Menu

Gm 5.7 rebuild

• Creator
    Topic
    Brad ParrottBrad Parrott
    Participant

I am in the process of rebuilding a 97 Vortec 5.7 to put in my 87 Wrangler. I was wondering what coating I should put on the pistons after I fit the rings.
      I saw the video when the machine shop coated the pistons and cylinder walls with wd-40, but you also said that is ok for a short time. I still have a decent amount of work to do before I will be able to put the engine in the vehicle so I can start it. Would the Wd-40 be ok or do I need to use something else?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

You could coat the cylinders with motor oil.
        But no matter what you use,nothing will last indefinitely.
        Depending on how long the engine internals will be exposed, you should check on it to ensure no rusting is occurring.

Brad ParrottBrad Parrott
        Participant

After I correct my mistake on purchasing the wrong rings, I will be pushing forward to finish the rebuild of the engine and starting on fitment of the engine transmission and transfer case in the Jeep. so it will be closed up soon, just not running yet.

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
          Participant

Like I said a coating of oil will work.
            Once you button it closed, just add a teaspoon to each cylinder and bar the engine over once or twice to coat everything.
            Just don’t be surprised at first startup that you see a lot of smoke for the first couple of minutes.

Brad ParrottBrad Parrott
            Participant

Thanks. I would expect the smoke with any coating in the cylinders for sure. I appreciate your responses.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…