Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Hard to shift into gear when car is warmed up

Hard to shift into gear when car is warmed up

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Hard to shift into gear when car is warmed up

Tagged: , ,

• Creator
    Topic
    My NameisMy Nameis
    Participant

1998 Honda Civic 195k miles, original clutch.

Original issue was that once the car was warmed up I couldn’t get it into 1st gear at all.

Replaced:
      – Master/slave cylinders
      – Transmission fluid

After replacing those shifting was much better/smoother.

But again once the car is warmed up/driven longer than 20 minutes there’s still “some” resistance going into gear as compared to when it’s cold. When cold it shifts perfectly.

Things I’ve noticed:

– If clutch pedal free play is adjusted to factory specs then it’s extremely hard getting into gear once warmed up. I have to decrease the freeplay a bit to get it to engage better, but leaves very little free play once warmed up (free play seems to decrease once car warms up. Normal?)

– Sometimes it sounds like the transmission isn’t fully releasing when the clutch is pressed for a lingering second or two.

Is this a clutch issue being it’s original with 195k miles or something else?

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Eddie KeytonEddie Keyton
      Participant

Did you replace the stock clutch line? What tranny fluid did you use? It probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to replace the fluid once more and see if that improves the situation. If not, could very well be a shift pin related issue

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…