Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Header hitting steering shaft, 85 foxbody mustang

Header hitting steering shaft, 85 foxbody mustang

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Engine Modifications Header hitting steering shaft, 85 foxbody mustang

• Creator
    Topic
    Mike J BrigadierMike J Brigadier
    Participant

Hi all! I’m hoping there is someone out there that has some kind of answer for this issue. I have a 85 Foxbody mustang. 351w swapped motor, UPR crossmember, BBK longtube hedders for 351w swap. Neoprene motor mounts. The problem is the tube coming out of #8 cylinder is not curving back towards the block soon enough. The bottom part of the curved tube is hitting the steering shaft knuckle. If i lift the motor about 1/8 of inch up it clears it.
      I tried an aftermarket drive shaft. Same thing. So my question is:

Can i shim the motor mount or mounts with washers where it is bolted to the block without any safety issues.
      Thanks

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Chris OrozcoChris
      Participant

as far as safety goes, that is up to an engineer to decide but I would make sure the engine sits level (shim all the motor mounts) to avoid uneven weight distribution and alignment and things like that (also depending on how much you need to shim). Eric is probably the best person to answer that as he has modified the Fairmont (also a fox body). To me, I like keeping things stock myself so I personally would have a better piece of mind keeping things as close to stock as possible and the reason for my reply being level the engine out throughout.

Mike J BrigadierMike J Brigadier
        Participant

Thanks for your reply. I agree with keeping the engine level. Im thinking about 1/8 inch higher. But the mods are already made and everything has gone great but this one issue. Is there a way to get this message to Eric? I’m sure he is a busy guy but that would be cool. Thanks for your time.

Chris OrozcoChris
          Participant

I would say go an post it under a live q&a session. Seems to be the only time he can get to questions. Back when this site was not as popular I would see him answer pretty often. Now a days it is usually moderators though moderators do a good job of relaying good information themselves. No one like eric on this one though I agree with that

Chris OrozcoChris
            Participant

Hey bud check out this video by eric if you have not done so already. He mentions spacers to the k-member to allow hood room while still helping the clearing of the engine. Might help you with your issues…

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…