Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Headlights dim and radio cuts out when brakes are applied

Headlights dim and radio cuts out when brakes are applied

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Headlights dim and radio cuts out when brakes are applied

• Creator
    Topic
    Ray ThomasRay Thomas
    Participant

Working on a 1995 Subaru Legacy. When I would step on the brakes the headlights would dim and the radio die for a second. When I pull the brake light fuse the problem goes away. There are a total of 8 brake lights so one by one I took them out , cleaned the sockets and replaced 2 bulbs that were corroded pretty bad. Now I’m down to the headlights flickering when I step on the brakes. I can remove the 4 upper mt lights and 2 of the lights in the hatch lid so there are only 2 left and the problem goes away. If I put any bulbs back in the flickering starts again. I did notice when I step on the brakes I can hear what sounds like a relay closing in the ecm which is under the radio. I think that’s the ecm. It seems like with that many bulbs they would have a relay to carry the load but I didn’t see any thing on the wiring diagram. Anyone have any ideas?
      Thanks, Ray Thomas

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

My first thought would be to look for a short in the wiring of the set of bulbs that is still causing your issue.
        The relay you hear clicking may be for the the brakes or shift release.

Ray ThomasRay Thomas
        Participant

I could have sworn there was a relay involved in there some where but you were right about the shift release. I knew there was a mechanical shift release but I didn’t know there was an electrical release. When I put my hand on that module and push the brakes you can feel the contacts meet when it is in park. When the shifter is in drive there is no click. I’ve isolated the circuit but have not located the short. I think this might end being a problem I have to live with.
          Thanks for the help.
          Ray Thomas

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…