Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Help identifying leak in '04 Civic DX

Help identifying leak in '04 Civic DX

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Help identifying leak in '04 Civic DX

• Creator
    Topic
    Jonathon EngerJonathon Enger
    Participant

Hi all, I recently changed oil on my 2004 Honda Civic DX and I noticed the oil pan was dirtier than the last time I changed oil. I assumed it was the oil pan gasket. But I jacked it up and took a closer look today, and it looks like the leak is coming from above the oil pan gasket. There is a black plastic part attached to the back side of the engine (to the left of the oil filter) that has a hose coming out of it, and it looks like that might be where the leak is coming from. I did have to add some coolant this winter, so I’m wondering if it is coolant leak? I need help identifying what this black plastic piece is. I’m still pretty new to DIY auto repair, so I don’t know what this piece is. Thank you for the help!

Here’s a link to a picture (hopefully linking pictures is allowed): https://photos.app.goo.gl/L3WBanL3k9xkmZtS9

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Jonathon EngerJonathon Enger
      Participant

After some more research, it looks like that black plastic part is the breather cover. But I’m wondering if the oil is actually leaking from there, or if it is leaking from the cam seal higher up. Is there any way to tell if the leak is coming from the cam seal without taking the whole engine apart? I have 187,000 miles on this Civic and the timing belt and tensioner was replaced at a Honda dealership at 114,000 miles. I’m not sure if the cam seal was replaced then or not.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…