Menu

Help on valve adjustment!

• Creator
    Topic
    ivwshaneivwshane
    Participant

I hope you see this soon because I’m in the middle of a valve adjustment right now and I have some questions.

The intake side seems to be going well and only needs minor adjusting however the exhaust side is a little more concerning.

The exhaust side is much tighter, that was expected as you said as much in the video. However when I go to adjust them I feel like the gauge is actually just compressing the valve spring because when I go to double check it, that valve is tight immediately.

I am also noticing play on the rocker assemblies. For example if I’m working on # 2 it along with 1 & 4 have loose rockers but valve #3 does not. Shouldn’t it be the opposite? With the valve I’m working on having a stiff rocker assembly and no play?

Here is how I am adjusting them:
      I use the power steering pump bolt to rotate the engine so that the cam lobe of the valve I am working on has the long side of the lobe sticking up. I have the lobe aligned with the arrows that are on the case (cam bearing caps?) for the intake side. On the exhaust side I have the lobes facing up so they align with some markings that are in the center of the cam bearing caps.

What I’m I doing wrong?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      ivwshaneivwshane
      Participant

Just to be clear because this may be the part I’m getting wrong. I am rotating the engine and aligning the lines separately for both intake and exhaust. In other words after I do the intake valve adjustment for valve #1 I then rotate the engine for the exhaust side of #1.

ivwshaneivwshane
        Participant

I think I’ve got it now.
          I used this guide to make sure the valves were at TDC.
          https://www.ataq.qc.ca/hosted/Honda_ELEMENT_Valve_Clearance_Adjustement.pdf

And for future reference, once you get the cam in the right spot you are good to adjust both intake and exhaust before moving the cam again.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…