Menu

HID bulb keeps burning out

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here HID bulb keeps burning out

• Creator
    Topic
    Ilse MoralesIlse Morales
    Participant

Last week I noticed the passenger side head light of my 2016 300s was out. I ordered new oem Philips xenon bulbs. My husband changed both bulbs so they both light up the same, he wore gloves & didn’t touch the bulb when installing. Well 4 days later the same passenger side bulb went out, the driver side is still working with no problems. We put the old bulb that was on the working side on the side that went out, however when installing we noticed it was flickering on and off. My husband was adjusting & playing around with the wiring behind it until it eventually stayed on. Well next day the bulb went out again. I’ve noticed buzzing/humming prior… when the light was working, not sure if that’s normal. Do any of you have any idea what could be causing the bulbs to burn out? We’ve checked for headlight/lamp damage but we don’t see any cracks or anything. The dealer is charging me 160 just for a diagnosis so I’m trying to avoid them of possible.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

Just of the top of my head and not knowing the specific setup used on your vehicle.
        You may have a faulty HID Ballast and / or HID Ignitor.
        Again, not knowing the specifics of your vehicle or what equipment/hardware it has from the factory.

Ilse MoralesIlse Morales
        Participant

Thank you for replying. We’ve switched the ballast, bulb, and even the whole headlight to the other side but the problem remains in the passenger side. We checked the relay connection in the fuse box with a circuit tester, 2 of the power pins & 1 ground pin sends steady connection, but when testing 1 ground pin, the tester flickers on and of as if there wasn’t a steady circuit/signal. What would have to be done next? Should it be an easy fix or should I just take it to the dealer?

Participant

Again not knowing your vehicles specific setup and layout I’m just taking shots in the dark.
            When you say:
            ” We checked the relay connection in the fuse box with a circuit tester, 2 of the power pins & 1 ground pin sends steady connection, but when testing 1 ground pin, the tester flickers on and of as if there wasn’t a steady circuit/signal.”
            Is this happening when just the know good headlight is plugged in?
            Or does it flicker only when you plug in the affect light?
            My guess is if you have a steady ground when the good light is plugged in and a flickering ground when you have the faulty light.
            That would narrow it down to the electronics on the faulty light causing the issue.

Ilse MoralesIlse Morales
            Participant

The circuit tester flickers on and of when it’s touching the ground plug/pin on the right side hid relay slot. The head light was installed.

Ilse MoralesIlse Morales
              Participant

The light that is not working was installed when tested & as I mentioned we switched that headlight to the other side & it was working no problems

Participant

Let me see if I understand you correctly.
                  !- If you take the passenger side light and plug it into the driverside all is good.
                  2- If you plug in the driverside light into the driverside all is good.
                  3- when you plug the passenger side light into the passenger side you have the issue.
                  4- When you plug in the driverside light into the passenger side what happens?

Ilse MoralesIlse Morales
                  Participant

Correct! When I plug in driver side light to the passenger, it doesn’t turn on, the problem remains. So I don’t think it is head light. I’m sure it’s a wiring issue. I spoke to a chrysler mechanic he said the relay connection feedback I get with the circuit tester sounds normal. So now I’m lost again 😩

Participant

So the issue is now narrowed down from the connection of the head lamp to its supply source.
                      Not trying to brush this off, but at this point you’ll need to find the headlight wiring diagram for your specific vehicle in order to move forward.
                      Also theory of operation of this headlight system would be helpful to pinpoint the issue.

Ilse MoralesIlse Morales
                      Participant

Where would I get the head light diagram? The chrysler guy sent me a diagram with “wiring information for my model’s lighting system” is that it? That diagram says that the power feed wire leads from the relay/fuse panel straight to the light assembly connection. Sorry for my ignorance, but this is complicated lol. I might just give in & pay someone to look at it & fix it.

Participant

“The chrysler guy sent me a diagram with “wiring information for my model’s lighting system” is that it?”
                          Without see it I really couldn’t say, but I would assume it is.

“That diagram says that the power feed wire leads from the relay/fuse panel straight to the light assembly connection.”
                          If that is actually true, the issue may be with the relay/fuse panel. A loose or corroided contact perhaps.
                          What you could do is remove one fuse / relay at a time and look at the contact pins down inside the fuse box to see if there is any corrosion.
                          Worse case you may have a faulty fuse box ( not unheard of with this make ).
                          At that point I would suggest taking it to a qualified tech to confirm that possiblity before dropping a load of $$$ for a replacement fuse box.

Ilse MoralesIlse Morales
                          Participant

We may have found the problem!! The mini fuse was starting to melt off. I hear it’s common with chargers/Chryslers. Changed it & It’s working so far. Wonder why it melted tho. Thank you for responding😊😊

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          Loading…