Menu

Homemade balljoint press

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Tool Talk Homemade balljoint press

• Creator
    Topic
    chevyazchevyaz
    Participant

Can someone tell me how to make a ball joint press.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Sang Kimskim3544
      Participant

Why do you need to make one when there are tons of cheap separators available?

My $15 separator wedges between and opens the narrow side as I tighten the bolt. Works pretty well and I was able to separate the most of the ball joints without damaging the rubber boot (except BMW 740, the ball joint was so big that the tool did not fit. BMW sells their special tool for $160) You can also use 2 ton jaw puller if you have enough space.

chevyazchevyaz
        Participant

Quoted From skim3544:

Why do you need to make one when there are tons of cheap separators available?

My $15 separator wedges between and opens the narrow side as I tighten the bolt. Works pretty well and I was able to separate the most of the ball joints without damaging the rubber boot (except BMW 740, the ball joint was so big that the tool did not fit. BMW sells their special tool for $160) You can also use 2 ton jaw puller if you have enough space.

I was looking to see if there is one to use while they were still on the truck.Was wondering ifanyone had ever made a homemade press out of other things. would be nice to know how to make one in a pinch.

619DioFan619DioFan
          Participant

I have the ball joint removal tool from harbor freight ( looks like a big c-clamp with various adaptors ) works great for on vehicle removal. not to expensive either. it has held up well over the years. can do other things as well ( u-joints etc ) well worth the investment.

Trcustoms719Trcustoms719
            Participant

Quoted From 619DioFan:

I have the ball joint removal tool from harbor freight ( looks like a big c-clamp with various adaptors ) works great for on vehicle removal. not to expensive either. it has held up well over the years. can do other things as well ( u-joints etc ) well worth the investment.

I have one from them too.
              Has been a great tool!

outdoorsman310outdoorsman310
              Participant

i might try to make one from a bottle jack and some type of metal frame. i probably wont though.

Trcustoms719Trcustoms719
                Participant

Quoted From outdoorsman310:

i might try to make one from a bottle jack and some type of metal frame. i probably wont though.

Thats actually a really good Idea.
                  It would be well worth it to make one.

outdoorsman310outdoorsman310
                  Participant

i will make one when i have to replace a ball joint 🙂

gatiszvejnieksgatiszvejnieks
                    Participant

Quoted From outdoorsman310:

I have such press. Metal frame and bottle jack. But the bottle jack has to remain its vertical position. Dont have a photo but the priciple is similar to this.

http://plursull.info/20-ton-hydraulic-f … -jack.aspx

But a simplified version. I don’t have adjustable hight, and that bar under the jack, also the jack is just hanging on the top.
                      But tat bar is a must, without it jack kas a tendency to move to side and slip off (dangeroues). I have to upgrade mine. I have to change front wheel bearing, it will be the first serious test.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    Loading…