Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Honda Civic Temp gauge fluctuating, not heating well

Honda Civic Temp gauge fluctuating, not heating well

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Honda Civic Temp gauge fluctuating, not heating well

• Creator
    Topic
    Kurt JohnsonKurt Johnson
    Participant

2005 Honda Civic 190,000 miles. The car does not heat up fast like it used to. Thermostat has been replaced. On a couple recent occasions, the temp gauge fluctuated between normal, fully hot and cold (up and down and back up and down, etc.) over the course of a few minutes. Car seems to run fine. The repair shop has not been able to replicate the problem and initially seemed stumped, and now says it’s probably the head gasket. They have said the coolant remains pressurized hours after turning engine off. Before I agree to the expensive repair, what should I make sure has been checked? Thanks.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

First I would remove and test the thermostat to make sure it is operating correctly.
        Next I would inspect and test the temp sending unit, also the connections.
        Then vacuum fill the cooling system to ensure there is no air entrapment.
        Then test the system.
        Measure the coolant temp not by the dashboard gauge.
        Might look at something like this:
        https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41ELTBwl1IL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…