Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • How to add thrust bearing to 2002 Civic LX camshaft

How to add thrust bearing to 2002 Civic LX camshaft

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here How to add thrust bearing to 2002 Civic LX camshaft

• Creator
    Topic
    JulienJulien
    Participant

My 02 Civic LX recently started going into Limp Mode and throwing the P1361 code. I replaced the camshaft position sensor, cleaned the plug/wiring and the code came back. The car has 190,000 miles and it seems reasonable to me that camshaft endplay exceeds the max Limit of 0.020″ or 0.5mm. There was a service bulletin on the 2001 for this problem happening prematurely (https://f01.justanswer.com/clmcr8/8dd41a70-e85a-4674-a733-2c6b85b3ee40_camendplay.pdf). Honda’s recommended fix was to replace the cylinder head which strikes me as an excessively involved and expensive solution. If I go that route, I will likely do a bunch of “While you’re in there, you should…” jobs including head gasket, timing belt, water pump, oil pump etc. First, I would like to simply adjust the camshaft endplay. Despite extensive research, I have not found any evidence of anyone trying this. And the only argument against this fix is a vague reference to Honda’s “floating camshaft design” which would presumably mean the cam cannot be adjusted. My question then is, how would you do this if you were going to try?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

I would try the troubleshooting that I attached. If the voltages are there, Replace the sensor with a factory sensor.
        Otherwise if voltages are not there repair the wiring. I misread, you already replaced the sensor. check for the voltages.

https://www.justanswer.com/honda/1i92e-2002-honda-civic-lx-4dr-at-problem-when.html

Tony PierronTony Pierron
        Participant

I agree with college man. I would bet camshaft endplay is not that far out if it is out of spec. You must test the sensor if you have issues with a new sensor. It is not that uncommon to get a bad new sensor out of the box.

JulienJulien
          Participant

I will do as you two suggest. The car is out of state and I won’t be able to work on it until Thanksgiving at the earliest or possibly even December. I will let you know what I find. Thanks for your suggestions.

JulienJulien
            Participant

It’s fixed! Thanks again for your suggestions. In the past two weeks, I did four things at the same time, any one of which may have fixed it. First, having noticed the ground wires were in poor shape, I replaced the ground cable from the battery with a new one. I removed, cleaned, and reused the other ground wires under the hood. Second, I replaced the camshaft position sensor with a genuine Honda part. Third, I cleaned some oily residue from the connector. Fourth,and this is what I suspect fixed it, I made sure the connector attached securely to the new sensor. Initially it seemed to go on just fine but I noticed it would slide off with a tug. I eventually realized that the connector has a very thin rubber boot that compresses like an accordeon when it attaches. This boot was preventing the plastic clip from locking. In my attempt to remove the boot, I ended up splitting it near the top. This allowed a little more clearance for the clip to compress it and then lock into place. I’ve had some oil leaks, one particularly bad, from the valve cover. I suspect the boot may have swelled from oil contamination. The car has now gone close to 200 miles with no trouble.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…