Menu

How to place jack stands on van

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here How to place jack stands on van

• Creator
    Topic
    Angel OrtizAngel
    Participant

I have a 2003 Dodge Caravan SE 3.3 and i have no idea how to safely and properly place jack stands under this van at all, i really need help and i have checked all videos on youtube and nothing is helping me.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant
        Angel OrtizAngel
        Participant

Richard Good Afternoon my friend! Would you like for me to upload pictures to share with you how everything is looking under this van so you can have a better idea? Im trying my best to learn how to be a diy home mechanic. I also want to say that im very appreciative of your replies, help and care.

Participant

You can.
            A bit of advise.
            You want to place the stand under the heaviest structural area.
            Also, you can support the vehicle with jack stands from the rear axle.

Angel OrtizAngel
            Participant

Richard Good Evening! I apologize for the late reply. I was looking for my old iphone since it has a clear camera for video and photos. I went ahead and filmed under the van so you can see. here is the link of the video https://youtu.be/7aPo8lDpoRI check it out and lmk

Participant

The jack stand looks well placed.
                You have under the structural frame of the unitized body.
                Though you hydraulic jack is in a questionable location.
                Make note your jack stand is under double steel, while the jack is under single steel.

Angel OrtizAngel
                Participant

Richard Good Morning! Would you like for me to keep filming more videos until i get it right and understand how to properly jack up the van and place it on jack stands? I have no issues at all filming more videos to show you. lmk

Participant
                    Angel OrtizAngel
                    Participant

I actually do have the manual but the only jacking points it shows is for the towers you see in garage shops that lift the car high up in the air. I dont see anywhere else in the manual how to jack up the van with a floor jack and and how to place the van on jack stands, this hasn’t been easy for me and im still looking.

Participant

Those lifting points are the same for a floor jack or shop lift.
                        As I said placement of jack stands need to be located under structural areas ( double layered steel ) or by suspension points.
                        IE. leaf spring mounts, front control arm mounting areas, cross member area, rear axle.
                        You can also span the unitized body channel with a piece of 4×4 lumber with 2 stands to spread the load over a larger area.

Angel OrtizAngel
                        Participant

If your able to film a video showing me how, it would be very helpful. Im still not understanding anything.

Participant
                            Angel OrtizAngel
                            Participant

Richard Good Evening! I went ahead and returned all 4 jack stands because nothing was helping me, to make it easier i went ahead and bought 4 of these: https://www.harborfreight.com/solid-steel-auto-ramp-set-63250.html because i dont understand jack stands and how to place them properly under any vehicle. I just want you to know that i truly appreciate all of your help from the heart your a great guy really. 🙂

Participant

Ramps are a good choice.
                                As to jack stands and how to place them properly under any vehicle ….
                                All vehicles have areas that can be supported by jack stands, but they aren’t all in the exact same locations on all vehicles.
                                Once you get under a few, you’ll soon see what works and what doesn’t.

Angel OrtizAngel
                                Participant

Richard Good Morning! If i dont have a scanner with bi-directional controls to command the EVAP system components to open and close, there has to be another way in doing so because those bi-directional scanners are very expensive and all i want to do is close the charcoal canister vent valve because normally its always open

Participant

Actually there are 2 different methods
                                    All depending on your reasoning…
                                    You can clamp off the hose to the canister
                                    You can apply the correct power to the proper pins to actuate the valve.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…