Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • How to reset the timing for a off time cam shaft on a Honda J series V6

How to reset the timing for a off time cam shaft on a Honda J series V6

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here How to reset the timing for a off time cam shaft on a Honda J series V6

• Creator
    Topic
    Tim VuTim Vu
    Participant

I was working on my Honda Odyssey 2007 timing belt but the new belt was a bit too thick to get past the little lip above the rear cam sprocket. After a hour of frustration, I used the ratchet to turn the camshaft CW a tiny bit to see if I can slip the belt on the rear cam sprocket. Well, the cam sprocket advanced a full 60 degree instead. So now, my rear cam is no longer TDC sync with engine crankshaft. My question is, do I turn the cam sprocket 300 degree more CW to bring the cam mark to TDC again? This is a VCM version of the 3.5 J series engine, I don’t know if the camshaft resetting procedure is any different or not. The engine is not running at all, and it is the rear cam so I hope that there would be no damage by doing this to get the timing reset since the crankshaft is still TDC. First of all, I thought the hardest part was to get the crankshaft pulley bolt off for most Honda V6 engine but the belt reinstallation itself seems to be a big problem too. I’d appreciate any advice from Eric or anyone on this forum who has a Honda service manual on this matter.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man
        Tim VuTim Vu
        Participant

After a bit of research, I think I solved my own problem. As it turns out, I decided to turn the cam shaft CCW back to TDC position because the can shaft itself is continuous and it does not matter which way you turn to get it to TDC after the belt is off. So, I turned it 60 degree CCW using a breaker bar instead of the ratchet to bring it back to the position I wanted. I knew that the timing belt was one tooth off because I marked the old and the new belts where they should line up on both the cam sprockets and the camshaft as well. The OEM belt was a bit too thick to slip it in so I decided to use a Gates timing belt instead and I was able to get everything back together with new tensioner and pulleys, despite the tensioner was a bit awkward to get it back into position. Before I put everything back, I rotated the crankshaft twice to make sure everything is aligned and it was. After letting it sat for 2 days, the engine mount was a bit out of alignment with the engine mount bracket and it took a bit of time to get them aligned with some help from the 1/4 extensions. Getting the serpentine belt back on was another problem on its own because I stripped the corners on the top fake nut. Once I got the serpentine belt on, I started her up and she purred like a happy cat! This was my third successful timing belt change on the Honda J series engine, but this one threw me a loop when I knocked that camshaft out of TDC. No matter what, a little common sense and some engineering background did help me got thru this little problem with no serious adverse effect. Now, my Odyssey should be ready for another 100K duty cycle. Unbeknown to me, Eric did send a message to just turn the camshaft back to TDC so my guess is right but I wish I checked my email sooner.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…