Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 4.7 with a slight engine tap on start up.

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 4.7 with a slight engine tap on start up.

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 4.7 with a slight engine tap on start up.

• Creator
    Topic
    usmccampbell26usmccampbell26
    Participant

I have a 2002 dodge ram slt qaud cab 4×4 that has 137,000 miles and after it has been sitting over night or for at least 3 to 4 hours and I start it up there is a slight engine tap on the passenger side of the engine. I was told by my mechanic that it was just a mopar noise and not to worry about it and if I switch to ams oil it will go away. It has made this noise ever since I bought it but it has always bugged me. The noise only lasts for about 45 seconds at idle and less if I rev it up a little bit. Other than that the truck runs perfect and I’ve never had a problem with it. I was just wanting y’alls thoughts and if I should get it fixed or not. Thanks!

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      jbonejbone
      Participant

Are you using the recommeded oil for your truck? I think it is 5w30, And maybe a cheap oil filter not performing right. Try changing oil with right oil and get a good filter….Sounds like the oil isn’t getting to the upper end fast enough…Just a thought……..good luck, and post back your findings..

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
        Keymaster

I’m with using the recommended oil for the engine, if your using something other than what is recommended on the oil cap I would switch back. To me it also sounds like you are describing a lifter noise and honestly the only way to get rid of it if that is what it indeed is is to replace the cam and lifters. Living with it may be your best option unless you want to upgrade your cam.

Participant

I really appreciate all the ideas, and I will let everyone know what I find out. The truck runs very strong and has been very well taken care of and other than this possible lifter tap she is in near mint condition, and that is saying alot for being in Northeast Ohio. Thanks again!

BigCBigC
            Participant

My inital thoughts are it could be a sticky lifter. Can you isolate any more which cylinder the noise is closest to on the passenger side? Keep us posted.

ark_454SSark_454SS
              Participant

Your best bet is to get some seafoam. Before you get ready to change your oil (50 miles, 150 your choice), follow the intructions on the can and pour the proper amount into your oil. As was I, I was leery on pouring this down into my crankcase. 100 miles or so later, I gave the truck a good driving for a few days to make sure they mixed well, and proceeded to change the oil. Oil was really dark and burnt and wasn’t TOO bad before oil change (5,000 miles on Pennz Ultra). At idle its alot smoother, quieter, (for my trucks) and has helped pretty much every vehicle I’ve put it in (to a degree). Helps alot during winter months when it takes the flat tappets time to pump up with alot of miles (grime and stuff its in the small parts of the lifters. (what the Dodge 4.7 has)

2 cents T)

Thrasher

freefalconfreefalcon
                Participant

Could be carbon buildup causing the valves to stick. I’ve seen that on these engines before. The sea foam additive might help. It’s a pretty good product just follow the instructions. If, however, the noise persist the only cure will be to either tear the engine down to inspect or, as was suggested, live with it as long as the truck is performing good and no other problems. Good luck.

killmankillman
                  Participant

It could be a bad anti drain back valve (ADBV) in the oil filter. Some oil filter brands and models are not that great and will leak down as you have described timewise. Purolator and Wix tend to be the best and have a nice ADBV in general.

Participant

I plan on selling the truck but I want it in tip top shape before i do so. I really appreciate all of y’alls help and I hope to be able to resolve this before putting it up forsale. I am a toyota nut and will probably be going back to a tundra. I have liked the dodge but for a few grand more in my opinion I feel the tundra is well worth it. The dodge sat for about 3 months so I am thinking it has a sticky lifter. I have heard good reports about seafoam and my brother inlaw has even used it so that may be the way to go before I give her another oil change. Oh, and it did get a new oil change, tranny flush, and radiator flush once I started driving it again. Thanks again for everything… Never expected to get so much help.

ark_454SSark_454SS
                      Participant

If your going toyota, go with the R22. BUT, my grandpa had a 2000 Tacoma with the quad cam, stick, dam good truck, 208 thousand miles on it before it got totaled, didn’t burn a drop of oil 10,000 mile oil changes. Run MB1 syn from about 40,000 miles, his work truck, and hunting truck in verrry harsh road conditons. Only problems were two power steering pumps and front axle leak. The new Tundras and Tacomas have no match on the older stuff.

Two cents V-)
                        Thrasher

3SheetsDiesel3SheetsDiesel
                        Participant

If you’re going to be putting Seafoam into the engine, and want to save some cash, I posted a thread in the Tools section of this site about homebrew automotive chemicals, Seafoam being one of them. It’s possible to make it yourself for about $10/gallon. Might be worth a look.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        Loading…