Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Ignition lock cylinder replacement problem.

Ignition lock cylinder replacement problem.

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Ignition lock cylinder replacement problem.

• Creator
    Topic
    KhronnixKhronnix
    Participant

So I have a 1996 Honda Accord LX, It got stolen like a week ago and I just got it back. They broke the ignition lock cylinder to start it with a flathead and now I’m trying to replace it but the bolt to take off the cylinder is broken and I can’t unscrew it, what should I do?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MattMatt
      Participant

I’m not sure what angle you have to get to this. Some way or another you need to use a screw extractor set, or just drill it out and retap it.. You might have to remove alot of stuff around it to get a drill or whatever you need up in there.

KhronnixKhronnix
        Participant

arggg, Much thanks Beefy, your super helpful I’ve gotta say.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
          Participant

You could also try to use a dremel and cut a slit into the screw and see if you can use a flat bladed screw driver as another option?

Good luck and keep us posted!

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
            Keymaster

It’s much easier than that, just take a hammer and punch and tap it in a counterclockwise direction and they will ‘unscrew’. You’ll probably find that once they break loose you can unscrew them by hand quite easily. The new switch will come with new fasteners with heads that will break off when they get tight enough and will look exactly like what you have in the picture after that happens.

Justin KatherineJustin Katherine
              Participant

Punching the hammer may leads to break it so it’s better to contact a locksmith to work on it.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…