• Topic
  • installing a power steering rack on a GM car

installing a power steering rack on a GM car

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge installing a power steering rack on a GM car

• Creator
    Topic
    Scot SScot S
    Participant

Hi Eric – I am replacing a power steering rack on a GM A body car from the mid-1990s (Buick Century). I have gotten the rack out and am trying to install the new one. There is a bushing on the passenger side where the rack mounts to the engine sub-frame. There is a bracket on the frame that this bushing is supposed to go into. The only problem is that the bushing is wider than the bracket where it mounts, and I can’t get it in there. I tried lubricating the sides of the bushing with some grease, but this is not enough to help it get in there. I saw you did a video on replacing a steering rack in an 02 Cavalier, and it looked like you had no trouble getting it installed in the car. I assume this is a similar setup to what I’m working on. Do you have any suggestions as to what might make this part of the job easier? I assume the bracket needs to be opened up a bit so the bushing can drop into it, but I don’t know what to use for that. It’s in a tight spot. Thanks for any advice you may have.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Scot SScot S
      Participant

OK. I was able to get the rack onto its mounts by adding grease to the bushing and bracket. That really helped a lot, allowing it to slide in. The part where I ma stuck now is getting the intermediate shaft onto the stub shaft. I can’t get the intermediate shaft slip yoke to slide over the end of the stub shaft. I’m close. It’s aligned, and the very end went on. But I cant get it to slide on there enough so I can attach the pinch bolt. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…