Menu

Intermittent starting problem.

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Intermittent starting problem.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Nightflyr * Richard Kirshy 2 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    Alain EBOUEL
    Alain EBOUEL
    Participant

I have a 2009 KIA SPECTRA LX (manual transmission).
    I start by noting that the vehicle has three different behaviors, and all 3 are intermittent. They did not appear at the same time, but one after another, week after week. Here are the 3 behaviors of the vehicle in order of appearance:
    1- When I turn the key to start, the engine cranks, but does not start. After a few attempts, it starts up.
    2-When I turn the key to start, the engine starts, but stops immediately. After that, it takes a few tries before it starts (as with the 1st behavior)
    3- When I turn the key to start, nothing happens. All the lights stay on on the dashboard, but nothing happens. Exactly as if I were trying to start without pressing the clutch pedal. I have checked the clutch pedal sensor with a multimeter, and it works fine.
    There is a 4th behavior that just appeared (last night), but that has nothing to do with starting system
    , but maybe you can find a link there:
    4- So yesterday at night, the vehicle locked the doors constantly, honking the horn, as we kept pressing the lock button on the remote control.
    Other than that, once the engine started, the vehicle was fine, and I didn’t notice anything abnormal.
    The battery and the candles have recently been changed. I also changed the camshaft position sensor (It didn’t change anything). There is a remote starter installed for 2 years, and which is working properly.
    Need help please. Sorry for the english mistakes, I am French speaker. Thank you in advance.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Nightflyr *
    Richard Kirshy
    Participant

Quite a bit happening here.
    Your issue(s) may all have a commonality (something with the alarm system )
    But, lets look at the first two issues first.
    1- When I turn the key to start, the engine cranks, but does not start. After a few attempts, it starts up.
    2-When I turn the key to start, the engine starts, but stops immediately. After that, it takes a few tries before it starts (as with the 1st behavior)
    This could be due to a fuel delivery issue.
    You can test this a several ways but the two easiest:
    Cycle the ignition several times to the run (NOT START) position.
    Then attempt to start the engine.
    If that works consistently, more than likely you have a failing fuel pump or perhaps a faulty pressure regulator.
    The other method would be to hook up a fuel pressure gauge on to the in bound fuel rail and see what the pressure is when the ignition in in the run position.

Issue #3
    3- When I turn the key to start, nothing happens. All the lights stay on on the dashboard, but nothing happens. Exactly as if I were trying to start without pressing the clutch pedal. I have checked the clutch pedal sensor with a multimeter, and it works fine.
    This may well be a intermittent contact in the clutch safety switch.
    Is there any other activity (fuel pump priming, relays engaging ) when it fails to crank?
    Reason: you may have a faulty ignition switch causing this issue also.
    I would remove the safety switch and by pass it with a jumper and see if that cures the issue.

As to the alarm issue…
    I have no idea, could be faulty wiring, a bad sensor etc.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Loading…