Menu

IT Student

• Creator
    Topic
    Muhsan TaherMuhsan Taher
    Participant

Hello everybody,
      I’m a computer science student, and I looking to create a smart-phone application that allow the user to control his car, just like the car remote, opening/locking car doors and other stuff.
      as a programming I know how to make the application, but I have zero knowledge about cars.
      I don’t know how could I send the command to the car, does the car have a system to control it’s functions, like opening the doors.
      Do I need a specific hardware to send the command to the car ?
      I think there should be something in the car that control this stuff, at least a wires to send voltage single. If it’s there I would like to know where exactly it is.

I’m new here and I don’t know where should I post this topic.
      thank you. 🙂

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Muhsan TaherMuhsan Taher
      Participant

does my topic invisible ? 😛

davedave
        Participant

Hello,

I too was a computer programmer, but have recently attained a degree in automotive technology. In my opinion, I believe the easiest way to implement your idea would be to create an interface with the DLC. This is a common approach that many 3rd party companies such as On-Star, Progressive, and others gain real-time information about the vehicle by accessing the network communication bus. Although network architecture and communication protocol will vary between makes and models, they all adhere to the OBDII ISO standards that has been in place since 1996.

Do I need a specific hardware to send the command to the car ?

Not necessarily, although it is possible of course to create a middle ware application that can translate a common software language into the manufacturer’s network protocol, which in many cases will be “Controller Area Netowrk” (CAN) and it variants (Fast CAN & Slow CAN).

You will need intimate knowledge of the following:

• The 16-PIN Data Link Connector – This is your gateway to sending and receiving serialized data from the various vehicle modules.
          • Controller Area Network (CAN) – Essentially a series of 1’s and 0’s at specified voltages, arranged in specialized ‘packets’. Most commonly used in modern GM vehicles. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_bus

I believe there are existing android applications that already tie into the network communication bus via the DLC that relay vehicle information to the individuals smart phone. Perhaps looking at existing technology will provide you some insight on how to move forward with your project.

Jacob SmithJacob Smith
          Participant

Hi there. It’s really great that you are interested in computer science. it’s commendable that you care about your future and think ahead about good experience and try to create a smart-phone application that allow the user to control his car. But if you want to make a good app you should engage in self-development and maybe ask for help professionals like https://pro-papers.com/buy-technical-report and then you will definitely can create any great app.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…