Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Last oil change was almost 2 years ago

Last oil change was almost 2 years ago

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Last oil change was almost 2 years ago

• Creator
    Topic
    Joe KJoe
    Participant

long story short last time i changed oil was almost 2 years ago. I normally change my oil every 6k or 6 month, but since i moved last year ive been busy and forgot all about it. I think i have about 7-8k miles in the 2 years. 90% mileage was put on 1st year. 2nd year car was barely driven.

As of right now i dont experience any noise or symptoms. Should i worry? did i cause any wear or damage? or have i dodge a bullet since i dont experience any noise or symptom? I use pennzoil full synthetic every time if it makes a difference

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

I’ve seen engines that have sat for a decade and longer start and ran with out issue after a service.
        I do not suspect you’ll have any issues.
        Though I would suggest running some “cheap ” oil and new filter through the engine for about a week, then do another with the oil and filter of your choice.

Joe KJoe
        Participant

Even though i dont have any symptoms or sign of engine problem, will it show up later? really worried i done damage with all the articles i read about degrading oil properties over time.

Participant

I wouldn’t be overly concerned.

Joe KJoe
            Participant

i recalculated the mileage in the two years i was wrong, its slight above 10k. My manual says 10k or 1 year which ever is first.

Participant

Again.. what’s done is done …. I wouldn’t be overly concerned.
                Might add the suggested amount of MMO to the first oil change if your that worried.

Joe KJoe
                Participant

Changed the oil today noticed oil filter was leaking abit, oil level was little below(a quart less estimate) and oil started to have some sludge! Now im worried, what are the possible damages?

Participant

Seriously are you OCD on this matter??
                    Change the oil.
                    Add MMO according to the directions.
                    Drive for a week.
                    Do another oil and filter change.
                    It’s not like the engine went 40K without an oil change

Joe KJoe
                    Participant

i already know that you said it couple times now, what im asking youre not answering is does think sludge at the bottom of oil catch pan means it already caused engine wear? why does overdue oil change cause oil filter to leak.

Participant

“sludge at the bottom of oil catch pan means”
                        More than likely from condensation.
                        Besides it was at the bottom of the pan, not the top of the engine.
                        “why does overdue oil change cause oil filter to leak.”
                        Seals will shrink, crack over time, nothing unusual about that.

Joe KJoe
                        Participant

thanks, i just wanted to know so i can understand the situation better. To be clear when i said oil catch pan i meant the oil pan i used to catch the drained oil not the oil pan on the car.

In the drained pan with the oil settled the bottom had a thick layer that was dark and hard to move when i titled the pan. When i googled oil condensation what i found was white/yellowish sludge that form mostly at engine oil cap.

Would having sludge means top of engine might have it too as oil circulate?

And last question if i may, when i check the oil level today it was below minimum by maybe thickness of two quarters(when i measure the drained oil it was about 1 quart short) but my oil light never came on despite having low oil does this mean possible engine wear? If i had to guess engine oil got low in the 2nd year(maybe 4-500miles) as filter failed and normal engine burning oil also taken into account.

Thanks again i just wanted to learn more about the situation

Participant

What your seeing isn’t really sludge persay.
                            It is the result of condesation in the oil and can easily be removed by driving the vehicle for a time, allowing the engine oil to remain hot enough to ” dry out ” the condensation.
                            What your seeing is fairly common, especially during the winter and short, around town trips.
                            True sludge is a thick,black goo that deposits all around the engine internally, that usually happens when oil changes are not done on a regular basis at recommended mileage intervals.

There were usually 2 oil fill requirements.
                            One is without a replacement oil filter
                            One with a new filter.
                            Which is why after doing an oil change you check the level, run the engine for a few minutes and check for any leaks, shut it off and let it sit for a few minutes and recheck th oil level.
                            Diffence between them could be between 1/3 and 1 quart ( depending on the size of the oil filter. )
                            If the warning light never came on it meant that the pressure sensor saw enough oil pressure, so I doubt there was any wear due to it.

Joe KJoe
                            Participant

Thanks again man, sorry for any annoyance

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            Loading…