Menu

Looking For Work Need Help!!!!!!!!

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Wanted Employment Opportunities Looking For Work Need Help!!!!!!!!

• Creator
    Topic
    jeep72jeep72
    Participant

🙁 I Have been looking for work with no luck need help. I went to school for Auto and Diesel for almost 2 years. 2 ASE. Took Ford training in school. Been in field for about 3 to four years. I go on careerbuilder.com Indeed.com, local701.com, linkedin.com. I need to work going crazy lol.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Greg LGreg L
      Participant

Chicagoland area? Have you stopped at various shops and left your resume? Sometimes shops won’t advertise for help, but are looking. I have walked into 2 jobs that way. Granted you may need to visit 10 shops to find one. What about relocating to more lucrative markets without the god forsaken rust? Plenty of.jobs out here.

Greg LGreg L
        Participant

Guess I should clarify things, I was on lunch earlier,lol. There are certain areas in the country that seem more lucrative than others. While in Oklahoma, I found pay to be lack luster at best. Granted this was from working at a chain store where the wage was high but only 15-25hrs a week at best. Houston area seems to pay well, a former coworker is looking for an A tech right now at his shop in a suburb there. Out here in Colorado, we don’t have the blasted rust, except on vehicles from out east. Lots of travelers, as well as commuters along the front range. Lot of shops out here, but not a huge amount of top quality facilities or techs to match. Plenty of demand however for guys or gals that want to work, pass a drug screening, and can turn out good work. I know of a couple of shops needing help as we speak(they have asked me, but I’m happy where I am). Costs plenty to move, but you have a spectacular view, and cost of living is likely less to boot. Just food for thought.

RickRick
          Participant

I’ve seen a lot of places hire people as LOF, and tire techs and then a few weeks later they are flat rate technicians. If you show places you want to be there you can get work. I have my bachelors in Mechanical Engineering and I change oil. My boss told me today after March of next year I’m going to dealership training. I’ve been at my dealership for a total of 2 months now. Some techs have been there a year. I have shown my bosses I want to be where I am, and I am willing to start out where ever I need to so I may move up.

RickRick
            Participant
              Greg LGreg L
              Participant

Our one GS, with his three degrees in whatever he has, has been there 6-7 months and still changes oil. Why do you ask? Today is a classic example as to why. We had a car come in for flat repairs, given to him. All four tires had multiple screws in them, appearing that a whole box of screws busted open in front of the lucky driver. I would guess 10-15 screws per tire to give you an idea. I walked by, saw this and told the GS multiple times that these tires are not repairable, too many punctures, with shoulder punctures to boot. He argued instead, and after 15 min he finally let the writers up front know. Four tires sold, be there later in the morning. He decides he wants to pull out all the screws in the tires. Why do you ask? Because he wants to know how many screws were in the tires, and as he put it, he has nothing else to do. An hourly paid guy, and he has nothing better to do, and he is whining they wont give him engine work. As Pitt put it, attitude is everything. Our GS still doesn’t get it sadly. Keep yourself busy, make yourself useful. Taking initiative, and being self motivated will show your bosses you’re worth keeping around and worth investing in. Standing around instead of cleaning, or helping the techs is a fast way to the check out line.

MikeMike
                Participant

[quote=”streetglideok” post=122304]Our one GS, with his three degrees in whatever he has, has been there 6-7 months and still changes oil. Why do you ask? Today is a classic example as to why. We had a car come in for flat repairs, given to him. All four tires had multiple screws in them, appearing that a whole box of screws busted open in front of the lucky driver. I would guess 10-15 screws per tire to give you an idea. I walked by, saw this and told the GS multiple times that these tires are not repairable, too many punctures, with shoulder punctures to boot. He argued instead, and after 15 min he finally let the writers up front know. Four tires sold, be there later in the morning. He decides he wants to pull out all the screws in the tires. Why do you ask? Because he wants to know how many screws were in the tires, and as he put it, he has nothing else to do. An hourly paid guy, and he has nothing better to do, and he is whining they wont give him engine work. As Pitt put it, attitude is everything. Our GS still doesn’t get it sadly. Keep yourself busy, make yourself useful. Taking initiative, and being self motivated will show your bosses you’re worth keeping around and worth investing in. Standing around instead of cleaning, or helping the techs is a fast way to the check out line.[/quote]

You have a really good attitude, I like you, I hope you remain around here. Everything I’ve seen you post adds something new and useful to the discussion.

Greg LGreg L
                  Participant

[quote=”Fopeano” post=122366][quote=”streetglideok” post=122304]Our one GS, with his three degrees in whatever he has, has been there 6-7 months and still changes oil. Why do you ask? Today is a classic example as to why. We had a car come in for flat repairs, given to him. All four tires had multiple screws in them, appearing that a whole box of screws busted open in front of the lucky driver. I would guess 10-15 screws per tire to give you an idea. I walked by, saw this and told the GS multiple times that these tires are not repairable, too many punctures, with shoulder punctures to boot. He argued instead, and after 15 min he finally let the writers up front know. Four tires sold, be there later in the morning. He decides he wants to pull out all the screws in the tires. Why do you ask? Because he wants to know how many screws were in the tires, and as he put it, he has nothing else to do. An hourly paid guy, and he has nothing better to do, and he is whining they wont give him engine work. As Pitt put it, attitude is everything. Our GS still doesn’t get it sadly. Keep yourself busy, make yourself useful. Taking initiative, and being self motivated will show your bosses you’re worth keeping around and worth investing in. Standing around instead of cleaning, or helping the techs is a fast way to the check out line.[/quote]

You have a really good attitude, I like you, I hope you remain around here. Everything I’ve seen you post adds something new and useful to the discussion.[/quote]

Thank you very much!

jeep72jeep72
                    Participant

Thanks all for the info.

Jason WhiteJason White
                      Participant

I’m a bit old fashion in some ways, and even if they say it doesn’t mean anything, physically going into someplace, find out who’s in charge, look them in the eye while shaking their hand and introduce yourself goes a long way.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Loading…