Menu

Make Headlights brighter

• Creator
    Topic
    MatthewMatthew
    Participant

My 2001 Daewoo Lanos has rather dim headlights compared to other cars. It was this way since it was new. I did notice that when i turn on the Passing lights (pull blinker stick toward you) while the headlights are on it is much brighter and better to see. How can i make my headlights brighter? I dont want a Xeon light kit those cost too much and i hate that I get blinded by them i dont want to blind other people. I want a home remedy hopefully one that does not cost any or little money at all.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MikeMike
      Participant

If you are good with electrical and a bit resourceful, you can improve it for around 100 bucks. I’ll explain.

First is make sure the headlamp lenses are clear because it’s very common for a car of that age to have haze or yellowing of the plastic lens that reduces its transparency. If it hasn’t been done it likely needs it. The restoration kits are everywhere. The ones with just a buffing compound and a buffing pad for a drill will improve anything and is quick and easy, but won’t fix any kind of hazing that has any visible edges to it. Kits with sandpapers to use first are way more of a pain in the ass and can take hours of hard work but can fix almost any amount of deterioration completely if you have the patience for it. Those kits are harder to find than the easy way, but you can get them from a Mitsubishi parts department and they work on any car just the same.

Second thing is you can replace your headlight bulbs with higher performance ones, it looks like you have 9007 type bulbs, but you would confirm that. The simple option is to get a better bulb that is the stock wattage, like a Sylvania/Osram Silverstar. Above that, you can seek out actual higher wattage bulbs and if you can find them, run them off of standard 30 amp automotive 5 pin relays that are wired directly to the battery and switched on by the existing headlight circuit. You don’t want to overtax the stock headlamp circuits, especially with Daewoo.

With some or all of that you can make you low beam light output like your high beams are, but keep all that light out of other driver’s eyes.

MatthewMatthew
        Participant

[quote=”Fopeano” post=109617]If you are good with electrical and a bit resourceful, you can improve it for around 100 bucks. I’ll explain.

First is make sure the headlamp lenses are clear because it’s very common for a car of that age to have haze or yellowing of the plastic lens that reduces its transparency. If it hasn’t been done it likely needs it. The restoration kits are everywhere. The ones with just a buffing compound and a buffing pad for a drill will improve anything and is quick and easy, but won’t fix any kind of hazing that has any visible edges to it. Kits with sandpapers to use first are way more of a pain in the ass and can take hours of hard work but can fix almost any amount of deterioration completely if you have the patience for it. Those kits are harder to find than the easy way, but you can get them from a Mitsubishi parts department and they work on any car just the same.

Second thing is you can replace your headlight bulbs with higher performance ones, it looks like you have 9007 type bulbs, but you would confirm that. The simple option is to get a better bulb that is the stock wattage, like a Sylvania/Osram Silverstar. Above that, you can seek out actual higher wattage bulbs and if you can find them, run them off of standard 30 amp automotive 5 pin relays that are wired directly to the battery and switched on by the existing headlight circuit. You don’t want to overtax the stock headlamp circuits, especially with Daewoo.

With some or all of that you can make you low beam light output like your high beams are, but keep all that light out of other driver’s eyes.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. I never saw that anyone answered this post.

Yes, you are correct. My car has the H4 9007 type headlamp bulbs. I found a CREE LED kit on ebay at this link My Headlights are crystal clear I dont have the headlight “Cataracts” My Headlight lenses are as clear now as they were in 2000. I assume those CREE LEDs will work. They are 80W which is what the factory bulbs are rated for. (Yes the bulbs are factory too) However my headlights have a cover over the plug for the bulb which ill have to keep off if replaced with LEDs.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…