Menu

Marvel Mystery Oil

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion Marvel Mystery Oil

• Creator
    Topic
    chevyazchevyaz
    Participant

What do you guys think of this product? I just put it in my tank when I fill up. Seems to work ok for me. I dont put it in the crankcase.Just the fuel tank.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Jason Alexmckrishes
      Participant

It’s hard to tell. All of reviews on bob the oil guy forums claims it makes a difference. I’ve never tried it personally, but am thinking about it. I’ve used techron and seafoam and have never noticed a difference. It may have helped, but maybe I just didn’t notice.

stingray66stingray66
        Participant

Thats one of the best product That I have ever used. Had an old drag racer( Bill jenkins ) turn me on to that stuff used to talk to him all the time back in the 60s down at atco drag way Told me it was the best stuff to help break in an engine
          it good to use in oil ,gas,, Good to use as air tool oil hell I think its the same thing IT is really good for and engine that has been sitting a long time MY sons grand cherokee had a lifter that would tap first thing in the morning I add a little marvel mystery oil to his oil and that took care of it
          I have two snow blowers witch is 2 cycle and they would never start to great TILLI put Marvel mystery oil in the fuel tank NOW they start on the first pull
          Marvel mystery oil is nothing new ITS been around since the 40s
          I highly recommend it

Chris111179Chris111179
          Participant

Defiantly good stuff, I use it in all my toys. I also use the Marvel Lubrication Oil that comes in a small bottle for little projects.

thomas dudmanthomas dudman
            Participant

Great for the fuel in small amounts.For the oil it has very high detergent levels.Good for cleaning tools and other stuff too.Good to loosen up stuck piston rings on very old engines.

chevyazchevyaz
              Participant

Ive read all the great things about it and been putting it in my gas tank and it seem to be helping. As far as anything else I keep the oil just oil. Personal preference really. I think it great.

dollman0dollman0
                Participant

I read the MSDS sheet and MMO is naphtha oil, the main ingredient in engine flush and penetrating oils. I use marvel oil and lucas fuel treatment to keep the injectors clean and take care of the lubrication issues associated with ethanol fuels.

I use MMO in the oil, start with a small amount just before an oil change (500 miles) because it is a strong solvent and will dissolve a lot of crud. I typically use 1 pint per gallon of oil and it seems to make the engine smooth out after a tank of gas. It also polishes the metal cutting back on friction and getting better gas mileage (around 5-10%).

Right now, I have 8 oz in my differential to clean up some burnt oil deposits. This is good stuff and you can also flood the top end of the engine with it like seafoam and let it sit overnight to free up gummed up valves.

B) The label says its harmless and I would agree

chevyazchevyaz
                  Participant

How do you use MMO to “FLOOD” the top of a engine? Never seen that before. Ive seen the Seafoam way but never heard you could do it with MMO.

dollman0dollman0
                    Participant

The active ingredient in Seafoam and MMO are very similar. Just pour it down the throttle body until the engine nearly stalls and turn it off just as you run out of about a pint. Let the engine set several hours or overnight if possible, start it up with a high idle to blow the crud out.

An old timey machinist told me to slowly pour a cup of kerosene down the carb and let it idle, that frees up sticking valves. It works, but dont be in a hurry for a quick fix.

chevyazchevyaz
                      Participant

I just changed my oil and put about a pint in with the oil change maybe it will clean some old carbon out. First time I used it in the oil will I notice A change? Just asking thanks for the reply.

DaveDave
                        Participant

First of all, all you see for “data” on the internet for this product are testimonials. I can assure you, that if I sold a rabbit’s foot that boosted a car’s performance, I would get plenty of testimonials that says it works.

People want to believe in things.

Get data. Eric – the guy who owns this site – always says get data.

Here’s what would convince me that the product works for whatever it claims to do.
                          Two fleets of cars of all the same make and model with identical accessories driven for at least a year. One with this product and one without.

Then the cars torn down by technicians and examined by them and engineers.

Do a statistical analysis on the wear and whatnot and see if the there is any statistical significance between both “populations” of cars.

Then run the test again testing one component – say the engine.

Do the same tear-down, etc …

Then run the test again with another component…..

Repeat.

Basically, do what is down for pharmaceuticals.

That’s just me.

I’m very skeptical.

stingray66stingray66
                          Participant

when it come to marvel mystery I am NOT skeptical:cheer:
                            Bill Jenkins was a true engine builder He race an engine a few times and tore it down. I ran a very large fleet and used it all the time Bill turned me on to marvel mystery oil way back in the 60s . I remember what he told me .
                            Marvel mystery is very good and the rest is all snake oil. He told me he had tested marvel against all other products and NOTHING did as good as Marvel
                            To Me Bill Jenkins was WAY better on engine builder then I ever was. Bill was a legend and I trusted his judgement

DaveDave
                            Participant

As of 2002, Mystery Oil is composed of 74 percent mineral oil, 25 percent stoddard solvent, and 1 percent lard.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Mystery_Oil

As you can see, this was invented to clean carburetors. I would never put this in my crankcase nor in my gas tank either because I’m not sure what it would do to my particular car.

But let’s consider this:

In January, while keeping tire pressure the same and using the same crankcase oil, track you mileage until May.

Then in May, go buy a lucky rabbit’s foot and again, while keeping tire pressure and oi the same, track your mileage until September.

I guarantee you that your mileage will increase by at least 10% and all because of that Lucky Rabbit’s foot!

Of course you don’t believe me! You have a brain!

Reasons for increased gas mileage in Summer:
                              1. Summer blend gas is different and the additives to stabilize the gas increase mileage.
                              http://ask.cars.com/2009/02/whats-the-difference-between-summerblend-gasoline-and-winterblend-gasoline-does-it-affect-my-cars-pe.html

2.Summer air is warmer and therefore less dense, the fuel required for a proper mixture decreases and hence; higher mileage.
                              http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/08/03/getting-better-gas-mileage-in-warm-weather-here-why/

All I’m saying is that we use the same critical thinking and skepticism. And many times we confuse correlation with causation: my mileage happened to have increased when I got the Lucky Rabbit’s foot; therefore, the Rabbit’s foot is the cause when in fact there are other reasons (Summer gas blend and less dense warm Summer air)

SpawnedXSpawnedX
                              Participant

The real ingredient list is:

– 100% Snake Oil

chevyazchevyaz
                                Participant

I really dont care about everyone saying its snake oil all I know is this stuff works good its been around for a long time and I know alot of people who use it with good results. So if you domt want to use it this is this the USA and you dont have to use it. But as for me I will. Have a nice day!

SpawnedXSpawnedX
                                  Participant

Why ask if you don’t want an answer you don’t like?

It does nothing. There is a reason we don’t sell that stuff at repair shops.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…