Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Mazda CX-7 timing chain & other issues

Mazda CX-7 timing chain & other issues

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Mazda CX-7 timing chain & other issues

• Creator
    Topic
    Graham AugerGraham Auger
    Participant

My sister’s Mazda CX-7 was recently diagnosed by the dealership as having a loose timing chain. She bought the car new in 2007 and has meticulously maintained it through regularly scheduled maintenance by said dealership, and has kept copies of all transactions. The car is just past 100,000 miles, and also just past the extended warranty. They quoted a price of about $1500 to replace the timing chain, and also about $8000 to replace the engine, for some reason. There doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with the engine, except for a slight ticking when it warms up, and which just started recently. However, there is a lower engine noise per the dealership, although they didn’t specify what it was. Also, the VVT was cited for some reason, but I don’t recall the context. The question is, given the extensive online complaints I have found about the Mazda CX-7, is it a good idea to sink money into replacing the timing chain? Or should she just cut her losses and get rid of the car?

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

My first suggestion would be to get a qualified second opinion.
        If both concur, then I might suggest take a close look at the vehicle and determine what condition it is in…
        IE: brakes, axles, electrical, transmission, body, interior, etc to determine if it is worth the investment.
        If the second opinion varies greatly from the dealership, then seek out a 3rd.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…