Menu

Mazda MPV randomly dies

• Creator
    Topic
    Jared TarterJared Tarter
    Participant

I have a 2003 Mazda MPV with about 120,000 miles that has died on me twice in the last three weeks. Here is the sequence of events:

– Van died at a stop light
      – I had just plugged my phone in to the charger right when it died so I thought that maybe something funky happened and just kind of ignored it
      – The van started back up without issues except that the TCS and TCS Off lights on the dash were on.
      – I was only a mile from my destination so finished driving. Once there, I turned the van off and started it back up and the TCS and TCS Off lights didn’t come back on.
      – When driving back home from my destination (about 40 miles from my house), the check engine light came on.
      – I scanned the code when I got home and it came back as P0102 which is Mass Air Flow Circuit Low Input.
      – I checked my air filter since that was an easy thing and it was fine.
      – I then cleaned the MAF sensor with CRC 05110 MAF Sensor Cleaner and then took it for a long drive. The check engine light came back on with the same code.
      – Upon inspection when I got home, I noticed that my air intake hose had a 3″ crack in it so I replaced that (that was four days ago).
      – We had been driving the van around like normal since then and it had been fine.
      – We then took it for a drive today and it again died, this time while we were moving.
      – It started back up fine again but the TCS and TCS Off lights were on again.
      – I turned if off and back on and the lights cleared again.
      – We were 40 miles from home but it made it the rest of the way home without any issues and the check engine light didn’t come on.

I have the Car Scanner app on my phone that I use to do the scanning. It also has an Emissions Test feature and since clearing the check engine light (which happened when I disconnected the battery to replace the air intake hose about 4 days ago), everything has passed except for the Evaporative System test. The app won’t say if it has failed or not so the “Not Passed” can mean that either it has failed or that the conditions for the test just haven’t been met yet. Since no code is being thrown yet, I’m assuming it is the latter but I’m not really a car guy so I could be wrong on that.

The app can also read the MAF sensor and, from looking online, the MAF sensor should be between 2-7 grams/second at idle and 15-25 grams/second at 2500 RPMs. Both of those check if but the 2500 RPM test only checks out if I’m in park. I’m not sure if that is the way to test it though. If I’m driving and the van gets around 2500 RPMs (like when going up a hill), the MAF sensor goes up to around 50-60 grams/second.

I say all that to ask some questions questions:

– Is it possible that the P0102 code that is being thrown is related to the car dying? I’m assuming they are related since the code came on about 20 miles after it died the first time (although it didn’t come on in the 40 miles after it died today).
      – Should I continue troubleshooting the MAF sensor or should I be looking elsewhere?
      – If I should continue troubleshooting the MAF sensor, what should I check before replacing it?
      – If I should be looking elsewhere, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

There is a low voltage output to the ECM, PCM, or ECU depending on your car.
        Being you have already cleaned the element.
        I would inspect the connections and wiring.
        If those are good, time to R&R the MAF after18 years.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…