Menu

Mercedes W211 Long-term Storage

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Mercedes W211 Long-term Storage

• Creator
    Topic
    Shane PriorShane Prior
    Participant

Hello,
      I have a 2004 Mercedes-Benz E270 (Diesel, automatic, 2.7L 5cyl W211). I want to store the car long term due to the road tax costing nearly 1500 euro for the year. I have bought another car to replace it which I am currently driving. However, I have owned the car since 2007 and don’t want to sell it. As previously mentioned I want to store it long term for a period of possibly five years. The car is a gem and is immaculate inside and out. It is just not financially viable to keep the car on the road.

I would like to know what steps I should take to ensure that the condition of the car doesn’t deteriorate over the period of storage. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

Grab a coffee or what ever your pleasure.
        1 Get the car washed and waxed while at it get the under carriage and under the hood washed, also clean the interior.
        2 Change out all the fluids and filters. May want to spray some oil down each cylinder if possible.
        3 Plan on replacing the tires, belts and possibly hoses when you do put the car back on the road.
        4 Coat all the seals, rubber gaskets and hoses with food grade silicone
        5 There are 2 schools of thought on the following:
        A – Fill the fuel up to prevent moisture, but plan on completely draing the entire systen prior to restarting some time down the road.
        B – Completely drain the fuel system.
        This will also depend on if the space is temperture controlled.
        6 If your putting the vehicle up on jack stands, do so where the suspension is under the weight load of the vehicle. Don’t let the suspension sit at full droop.
        7 If equipped, squeeze back the calipers so the brake pads aren’t contacting the rotors. This will save a ton of grief if you wind up with a siezed caliper in the future.
        8 Not sure about the electronics in the vehicle so you may want to hook up a battery tender to keep the battery alive during storage.
        Be aware that you’ll most likely need to replace the battery in the future.
        9 Grease as many joint as you can, door hinges, ball joints, universals, locks, hood release
        10 May want to consider a car cover

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…