Menu

My Favorite Types of Modified Cars

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Favorite Cars My Favorite Types of Modified Cars

• Creator
    Topic
    MikeMike
    Participant

I’ve concluded that this is the most appropriate place to post this. I just wanted expose you to a couple of my favorite kinds of modified cars, which happen to be overlooked by much of the car enthusiast community (mostly in the US). I really appreciate insane machines, especially the sounds, but nothing more than just seeing what people will do to cars.

1st, 1/8 mile uphill sand drag racing. For the engines, it’s the same as tractor pulling (which I love, too) but it’s a completely different useless waste of a once-practical vehicle.

2nd, European Hillclimbing Cars. Incredibly unrestricted vehicle construction in a culture where people are anal about thoughtful but practical engineering. It also helps that most of Europe has laws requiring 4 weeks or more of paid vacation per year. Lots of time for working on the car!

Viewing 16 replies (of 16 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Gary BrownGary
      Participant

[quote=”andrewbutton442″ post=126011]All 454s were open chamber except 70 LS6. All 427s were closed chamber except second run L88. All 396s were closed chamber. Most rectangle port heads were closed chamber, although Chevy made open chamber 990 rectangle port for 454 engines heads for about 30 years for boats and aftermarket stuff. They are not at as valuable as they were on Marine engines and so they don’t really have a place on restored muscle cars. One can put a closed chamber head on a flat top 454 with good results, however, going the other way around will result in a mess of low compression. Peanut ports were all sorts of things. I knew somebody who took a later model peanut port 454 with a roller cam from a tow truck and ran similar results as an earlier rectangle engine just due to low end grunt. Stock for stock, of course. If he could get all the power under 5000 grand, then why the heck not. There are many, many folks who highly favor oval ports. At my altitude NOBODY runs rectangles in a street car and makes it work as well as ovals, we just don’t have enough air density to make them work well for anything that is not full out RPMs.[/quote] True. Here at sea level, the rectangles can be used to their full potential. Ovals work great and are more streetable I agree, but for high Rpm racing at sea level it’s rectangles. I would never street a rectangle ported BBC. Ovals are the perfect mix. Man we need to sit and have a beer cause we can talk about classic muscle all day lol.

Viewing 16 replies (of 16 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…