Menu

Oil / Coolant Leaks

• Creator
    Topic
    Samantha BassettSamantha Bassett
    Participant

I have a 2012 Chevy Cruze LTZ – 160,000 miles. I brought it to the shop for a check engine light and was given this list of issues:

Coil pack replacement
      Intake manifold leak
      Coolant reservoir is leaking
      2 coolant line leaks
      Turbo oil feed line leaking
      PVC valve in valve cover needs to be replaced
      Oil change
      Clean engine / put dye in to check for additional leaks
      Cost: $2400

That seems like an awful lot for a car that is 8 years old. Is it time to just call it on the car?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Dave TidmanDave Tidman
      Participant

Just out of curiosity, what was the code for the check engine light you brought the car in for originally?
        Was the code fixed before they gave you this list?

Samantha BassettSamantha Bassett
        Participant

I don’t know.. the light came on and I brought it to the shop. I didn’t check the code otherwise.

Dave TidmanDave Tidman
          Participant

It may say on your invoice what the code was. I was just wondering because they recommended coils and an intake leak and I was wondering if they were just loading the parts cannon to try to fix an issue.

What part did they replace to fix the original issue?

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
            Participant

You could inquire at the dealership the parts cost, also google the replacement parts from on line parts suppliers.
              Most everything listed is a simple R&R you should be able to find youtube videos.

Michael SacksteinMichael Sackstein
              Participant

Yeah that sounds like an awful lot of money for a car like that. If I were you I would take it to an independent shop, rather than a dealership or commercial shop and get a second opinion on all that. Sounds like they’re out to take you for a ride on that one. If you don’t know of a good trustworthy independent shop personally I recommend that you ask somebody in your area who might know of one and bring the car to them, as well as the estimate you got in repairs and have them look that over and let them tell you what they think. Maybe it does need those repairs, maybe it only needs a handful of what they listed. You won’t know for sure until you get a second opinion. Let me know how it goes

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Michael SacksteinMichael Sackstein. Reason: forgot to add some stuff
              Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…