Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Oil gets dirty too quick on my 1.6L 2013 Kia Rio GDI Engine

Oil gets dirty too quick on my 1.6L 2013 Kia Rio GDI Engine

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Oil gets dirty too quick on my 1.6L 2013 Kia Rio GDI Engine

• Creator
    Topic
    willy johnsonwaleed
    Participant

I have owned the car since early last year. Oil change history was included with purchase, and the vehicle was very well maintained from previous owner. Before them, enterprise owned the car. I bought the car wth 83k on it, now it was around 110km.

I noticed this cars oil gets dirty much faster than pretty much any car I’ve owned so far. I ran seafoam spray through the throttle body last month before changing the oil, the oil was black like burnt black. The manual calls for conventional oil changes 6k for severe conditons in canada, and 12k for normal usage. I usually go around 7-9k.

This time when I changed the oil, I ran full synthetic hoping I can run it longer before having it change it. Is it wise to use marvel mystery oil before I change the oil?

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

Oil will get dirty.
        How fast and to what extent will depend on how:
        The vehicle was maintained.
        And / or the engine has a history of running dirty.

Some engines no matter how well are maintained are sludge makers.
        If you believe the issue is due from maintenance.
        Might suggest do a cheap oil and filter change and add Marvel Mystery Oil to the crank case.
        Run the vehicle for a week, then drain the oil and see its condition.
        Then do another cheap change, drive another week and check the condition of the oil.
        If it appears cleaner, then do a proper oil and filter change and keep a watch on the oil condition.

willy johnsonwaleed
        Participant

I generally dont like to use additives much if at all but this car is an exception. At 1000km the oil is dirtier than my brothers 2015 yaris at around 8k. I guess thats why here the dealer recommends the 6k oil change interval instead of 12k.

Might not be a bad idea to run Marvel oil before the next oil change or atf to help clean it out.

Seafoam spray I wouldnt use again, at least on this car. Last time I followed the directions, it flooded my engine and car wouldnt start. I had to pull the plugs twice, and remove the throttlebody to make sure the engine wasnt locked up, but I got it to work after sitting a while.

Participant

I actually use MMO during all my oil changes and every 4th fill up.
            Been doing so for the last 17 years
            Engine internals remain quite clean.

willy johnsonwaleed
            Participant

Is it safe to use atf to clean out the engine? Ive seen it done at a shop I worked at in highschool.

Participant

[hr]Would not be my first choice on a modern engine.
                If you dislodge a large amount of sludge you could block up the internal oil passages

willy johnsonwaleed
                Participant

Yea I suppose that can be true. I just use marvel mystery oil now to keep it clean, though not as easy to find in canada as the US.

AntonAnton
                  Participant

Nooo. I worked at a hyundai dealership (Kia and hyundai are same drivetrain and chassi) and petrol engines at hyundai work and almost never failed when maintainde with synthetic oil and correct maintence (TIME AND DISTENS) in my experience they worked The best if you leave it alone and check oil and coolent. The reason for The oil looking black is they drain oil poorly and got black as fast as The crdi (diesel). That is my conclution but i live in sweden where there are more crdi so i dont have a big samspel size. The ones that did The shorter but cheaper petrol service hade no trouble. The main issue with gdi was missed service or interfernes like flash/chip tune and short driving cykels and often resulted in engine replacement. Btw sorry for lacking in english skills it is my first post. Just ask my to clarify if i made no send 🙂

JohnnyJohnny
                    Participant

have you tried motor flush when doing an oil change: I personally havent tried it yet but have heard good things…I remember watching Freddy “Tavarish” on youtube, he bought his wife a hyundai Sonata with 200k, he said he opened the valve cover and there was little varnish etc so it might just be the GDI’s engine characteristics…you might need to adjust to what you see.

JohnnyJohnny
                      Participant

any mods: cold air intake etc

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Loading…