Menu

Olds 455 Vs Pontiac 455 Vs Buick 455

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Automotive Discussion Olds 455 Vs Pontiac 455 Vs Buick 455

• Creator
    Topic
    Gary BrownGary
    Participant

To the people who grew up with these motors, which one of these 455s was the best? The Pontiac 455 is what I’m most familiar with however I have never actually seen a buick or olds 455.

Viewing 4 replies - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      gary wgary w
      Participant

yo straw (smirk) I went to Maple Grove Raceway 2 years in a row, back in the early 2000’s, they had a drag meet and car show. the first year I picked up a bare block on the way out, 400 Pontiac, block code YD, ’67- for free- had a “free” sign on it, a vendor abandoned it there. next year, on the way out, same thing, a complete shortblock casting YC 400 block, “FREE” sign. I loaded it up.
        in the past few years, I went on a hunt for Pontiac engines in local junkyards, and now have 9 of them. in addition to another 4 here at the house. and I know where there are another 6 or more in a few different junkyards.
        they aren’t hard to find, and they are affordable. I could have 6 more sitting on my porch in a week, if I wanted them, within 15 miles of my home.
        to reiterate, I think the OP was referring to bone stock engines, not the aftermarket.

gary wgary w
        Participant

ps- that’s sad about the 455HO, I get your drift….but after building 60+ Pontiac engines since 1980, I was actually thinking of doing an Olds 455 with long 425 rods in it and custom pistons, or a Chrysler early hemi 331-354-392 family engine, with 555 heads on it, and putting it in my GTO. just for schits and giggles….why ? GM had a better suspension than Mopar or Ford, and it’s what I have. BBC engines are cool too but way too heavy and common to put in a Pontiac. I could just like to step on a 455 Olds or early Hemi, without having to buy another complete Olds or Mopar car and fix all the sheetmetal and body and interior, what a PITA. at my age time is a factor, I just don’t have the time to do any more body-off restos. I did my share and they almost NEVER pay, you’re lucky to break even on them.

Zac AleksovskiZac Aleksovski
          Participant

I haven’t been to salvage yards that much since I got rid of my TA which was around 1984-85. Someone lost a big chunk of concrete out the back of his truck & my car and I found it for him. The TA was a 1975 so wasn’t exactly a collectors item or a power house but it was a fun car. Had a local U pull junkyard (the kind you can drain the oil out of an engine on the ground & no one would say anything) and a found a lot of my “speed” parts for that car. Got the “good” cylinder head numbers from Nunzi (man that guy was hard to understand over the phone) wrote them on a note card & scoured the bone yard. Found # 13 heads which were ’70 GP heads & intake for like $45 and found 3.42 ring & pinion for around that much. Always would take the secondary needles & hangers on the q-jets that were left for my “collection”. Ah the good old days. I need to stop ’cause I’m tearing up.

gary wgary w
            Participant

ahh….the good old days of the 1980’s, combing the junkyards for big valve Pontiac heads….the last and final set I scored was last year, casting 061’s from a 1967 that were in a yard for at least 30 years. everybody else passed on them cuz they are pressed studs, but do have 2.11″/1,77″ valves, and the smaller 75cc chamber. yeh been there done that and it was a great thrilling experience, and I still junkyard comb from time to time, cuz while you’re in a yard searching, you aren’t thinking of nothing else but finding something cool. great post

Viewing 4 replies - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…