Menu

oval window vw’s

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Favorite Cars oval window vw’s

• Creator
    Topic
    hondaslave1342hondaslave1342
    Participant

always had a affinity for these love bugs……even microbus tug at my heart strings….die hards that keep puttering down the road.. albeit at 48 mph..V-)

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      redfuryredfury
      Participant

I had a 1970 bug in high school and always wanted an oval. Of course, a split window would have been cooler, but chances of finding one of those, even in the mid eighties was getting hard to do at a reasonable price.

Of course, I’d have to convert it to 12v, get a adjustable front axle and put an 1800cc dual weber carbed motor in it…

tomgettomget
        Participant

Ya for sure I’m fond of the early VW’s and especially the micro buses..I still seem them around. I live in Northern Calif and there’s a real nice one just down the street with..you guessed it a surf board on top. Real surfer or just a poser I don’t know and it doesn’t matter either is good. I haven’t had a VW in decades but that’s just because I can’t have it all.

Brian NagyBrian Nagy
          Participant

Ahh Farfegnugen! Very fun and practical vehicles with the simple air cooled design.

over the years, I owned 2 Bugs (1967, 1971 Super Bee) and a 78 Transporter (bus).

Today i drive a 99 dodge 3/4 ton Cummings diesel for work, and ride a Ninja 250 most of the time when the weather is decent.

Nothing compares to the sound of that old VW engine though. Kinda wish I still had one. Especially the bus. Very useful and cheap to maintain. When those engines got tired, drop a couple hundred bucks to replace the p & c, and gaskets, then run it another 100k miles.

Brian NagyBrian Nagy
            Participant

Ahh Farfegnugen! Very fun and practical vehicles with the simple air cooled design.

over the years, I owned 2 Bugs (1967, 1971 Super Bee) and a 78 Transporter (bus).

Today i drive a 99 dodge 3/4 ton Cummings diesel for work, and ride a Ninja 250 most of the time when the weather is decent.

Nothing compares to the sound of that old VW engine though. Kinda wish I still had one. Especially the bus. Very useful and cheap to maintain. When those engines got tired, drop a couple hundred bucks to replace the p & c, and gaskets, then run it another 100k miles.

JamieJamie
              Participant

What I wouldn’t do to own Type 3 fast back.

JamieJamie
                Participant

What I wouldn’t do to own Type 3 fast back.

MikeMike
                  Participant

The old air-cooled VWs have charisma few other vehicles can match. It’s amazing that a fleet of vehicles so deeply flawed can bring so much joy to so many people.

I’ve always had a hankering for a Transporter pickup, and it’s impossible for me to explain why.

redfuryredfury
                    Participant

No need to explain, I’ve always wanted a double cab or a 21 window, or a barn door, or anything really. My wife hates the VW Microbus, but I’m working on wooing her on one. I’d like to get a Baja bug, but I have to be realistic, I need a place to keep one first.

Andrew ButtonAndrew Button
                      Participant

21 window over 100,000 for a non junker. 23 even more. I recently sold a 57 oval sunroof beetle. 58 and later bugs lost their charm as the years rolled on. I spent a huge amount of my life working on air cooled stuff but pre 68 bugs became expensive and I got out to keep my sanity. 67 and older busses when done well can be magnificent whereas 68 and later bay windows are never more than utility vehicles with little appeal to anybody. All busses were junk really but if one has to have junk make it charming old school split window bully, not 70s sage green with orange plaid hideousness.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Loading…